Known as “the Nature Island of the Caribbean,” Dominica is beloved for its rare beauty and scenic landscapes. While those qualities extend to its shoreline, the island is not particularly known for its beaches, mostly due to the difficulty of accessing them. Nevertheless, there are a few near-deserted golden stretches of sand and lots of rocky black pebbled coasts that will surprise every demanding beach connoisseur. Take a look at our guide to the ones you shouldn’t miss.
Batibou is a beautiful sheltered bay with some wooden tables to enjoy the sea view. Take some time to chill out at the bar or the hammocks and walk or run along the pristine beach for some peaceful moments. Address: Hampstead Estate, road to Portsmouth, Dominica
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is the greatest exception to the island’s rocky beach landscape. A popular weekend spot for locals and visitors alike, Mero is a black sand beach located on the southwest coast, close to Roseau. Spend some time worshiping the sun, take advantage of its warm, calm waters and discover the amenities offered such as the snack bar or the showers. Address: Saint Joseph Parish, Dominica
Once a hang-out for pirates, this beach has now become a quiet retreat perfect for relaxing, taking a dip or climbing the impressive rock formations. Point Baptiste is where you will find both white and black sand beaches along with breathtaking views out to the sea including the islands of Guadeloupe, Marie Galante and Les Saintes. Thanks to its few visitors, it is also an ideal spot for lovers. Address: Calibishie, St. Andrew, Dominica
Although a filming location for Pirates of the Caribbean, this spot is fortunately not overrun with visitors despite its fame. Hampstead looks like a paradise featuring coconut trees and crystalline waters. Feel the atmosphere of your favorite movie, imagine you are Captain Jack Sparrow and take the chance explore the nearby city of Calibishie. Address: Off Indian Rd., west of Calibishie, Calibishie, St. Andrew, Dominica
If you need a beach easier to access, the lively Turtle Bay is a great option. Lined with bars and restaurants, it is a Dominican slice of pristine beauty conveniently located close to Portsmouth and various historical sites. Watch out for the frequent concerts by local reggae bands and the never-ending water sports options. Address: Portsmouth, Dominica
As the name reveals, Champagne Beach is mostly known for its bubbly waters, creations of the volcanic ocean floor and the reason for the bath-like temperatures. Prepare your snorkel gear and spend more than a day’s swim to explore the diving or snorkeling opportunities which offer some amazing underwater scenery. Address: Roseau, Dominica By Maria Menegaki
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.