The William Thornton Floating Bar & Restaurant, affectionately known as Willy T’s, is a legendary Caribbean bar that rides afloat a rather convincing pirate ship – loaded with grog and grub. Revellers wishing to eat, drink and be merry can find it bobbing in The Bight anchorage at Norman Island in the British Virgin Islands. Here’s everything you need to know before you go…
Get the best out of the British Virgin Islands by booking our British Virgin Islands sailing trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A brief history of Willy T’s
Since 1989, Willie T’s has brought swashbuckling fun to BVI waters with its unique floating bar, where sailors of the high seas can drop anchor to drink up on a decommissioned tanker. Named after an architect-inventor who was born on nearby Jost Van Dyke Island (involved in designing the United States Capitol), the original Willy Thornton was destroyed in September 2017 by hurricanes Irma and Maria… but its story doesn’t end there.
The ship still serves a second life to tourists under the waves in Key Bay, Peter Island, as a ghost ship and dive site for scuba diving and snorkelling patrons. Like other underwater art-gallery-cum-reefs in the region (such as the Kodiak Queen), BVI non-profit Beyond the Reef uses donations from divers that visit it to fund community projects, such as swimming programmes for local children.
For land-lubbers, the owners had a new ship built, but in May 2018 it was announced they would have to anchor in Great Harbour on Peter Island instead. Only in 2019 was Willie T’s bar able to return back to its original spot at The Bight on Norman Island, where the ship and crew are now happy to be home.
What food should you order?
For a true taste of the Caribbean sea, try the Anegada Conch Fritters, served with a tangy mayo sauce. Never tried conch meat? It tastes like a combination of crayfish, escargot and scallops. Another local dish aboard the Willy T restaurant is the chicken roti or, for something light and familiar, you can opt for a simple Caesar salad, choosing to add chicken or mahi for a tropical ocean twist.
If in doubt, it’s worth checking the daily specials, which feature fresh local fish and the occasional cut of steak. Whatever you order, be sure to save space for a refreshing slice of Key lime pie.
What drinks should you order?
Pirates are known to have a taste for rum and with the Treasure Island lore of the BVIs (Norman Island is the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson’s lauded novel), the Willy T could hardly be the exception.
In fact, the bar even has its very own brand. You can even buy a bottle to take home or as a dockside takeaway or sample it in many popular drinks on board, including the infamous Painkiller (orange, pineapple, coconut and nutmeg); and dark and stormy (bitters, ginger beer and lime). Frozen margaritas always go down a treat in the island sun and there are always ice-cold Red Stripes to hand for beer-lovers, too.
When is the best time to visit?
If you’re going for food, Willy T’s serves lunch between 12-3pm and dinner from 6pm onwards. For families, it’s worth being aware of the party reputation of the ship as the evening draws in. In fact, the boat doesn’t have an official closing time – it stays open for as long as you keep the spirit alive.
“We are famous for our temporary tattoos and jumping off the top of the boat – essentials for the full Willy T’s experience,” says Ella Crone, staff member at Willy T’s.
How to get to Willy T’s
While you can catch a ferry from Tortola to Norman Island, it may be tricky to reach Willy T’s even from The Bight – it’s too far to swim (especially after one too many rum cocktails). Really the best way to reach it is by your own vessel, like the pirates and sailors of old. If pirating is not an option, book our British Virgin Islands sailing trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.