From stingray hotpot and other seafood delights to homemade pizza and Ukrainian borsch, Vietnam’s seaside town of Vung Tau has some fantastic restaurants for all tastes.
Vung Tau is an ideal getaway for those wishing to escape bustling Ho Chi Minh City for a weekend. Indulge in some fresh seafood or international cuisine at these top restaurants, which over the years have built up a solid reputation for serving some of the best food in town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This spot serves the best lẩu cá duối (stingray hot pot) in town, a local folk dish thought to carry a great deal of nutrition. The hot pot comes with many different ingredients in addition to stingray – pickled bamboo, chili, vermicelli, rice crackers, a side plate of herbs and of course, the ubiquitous fish sauce that you can’t get away from in Vietnam. Make sure you don’t go alone as it will take at least two people to finish.
Gành Hào is an iconic eatery that has been around for over 10 years, which says a lot as venues in Vietnam don’t tend to stick around for long. Consistently serving delicious food, prices here are a little above the norm. However, Gành Hào offers a fantastic experience to match, with one of the most beautiful seaside views in Vung Tau. It is advised that you make a reservation beforehand, as the place can get quite full and diners love to take their time here – there’s even a playground for kids to play as the adults indulge in some fine wine. Don’t miss the sunset!
Bánh khọt (mini pancake) is another one of Vung Tau’s specialties, often chosen over the popular bánh xèo. Bánh khọt Gốc Vú Sữa is a local favorite that’s become increasingly popular with foreigners, drawn inside by the sounds of sizzling pancake batter and the delicious smells. When you eat, take advantage of all the condiments – the greens, the shredded papaya, and sauce. Get a tall glass of sugar cane juice to go with, too.
The menu at Thành Phát is full of fresh and high-quality seafood options such as crab, sea snails, and octopus. Despite seafood’s expensive reputation, dining here won’t leave a huge dent in your wallet. It certainly adds to the experience that the restaurant is located right by the beach, giving you a wonderful view as you get working on those tough crab shells.
Làng Bè Long Sơn is a wooden ‘floating’ house, resting on stilts above the water. The concept, style, and location does a great job of creating a peaceful atmosphere as you dine. The menu takes it a step further, with delicious seafood presented alongside local meaty favorites.
Sometimes you have to forgo that beach diet and indulge in some cheesy pizza. Head over to David Pizzeria for some fresh slices of authentic Italian pizza, alongside other homemade favorites such as pastas and steaks. The ingredients come right from the Italian-born chef’s own garden. For the best dining experience sit over at the patio, but if you’re looking for more breeze the rooftop will suit you better. Booking ahead is recommended.
For a slice of Eastern Europe head over to Kozak Mamay, which is a long-standing favorite catering mostly to the expat community in Vung Tau. Over here you will find some of the best Ukrainian food, not only in Vung Tau but all of Vietnam. The expansive menu features a delicious mix of Ukrainian, Western and pan-Asian cuisine, but Culture Trip recommends you keep it close to home and try the homemade sausages and Ukrainian borsch. Wash down your meal with a glass from their equally extensive wine menu or a glass of imported draft beer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.