With its diverse landscapes, rich culture and delicious food, Vietnam has something to offer all ages. It might be a backpacker favourite, but there are plenty of places to enjoy some wholesome family fun in this beautiful country. Read on to discover the best destinations for a trip the entire family will enjoy.
Whether your family is looking for a beach holiday, hiking adventure or fun sightseeing trip, you’ll be able to find it in Vietnam. Travelling the country with children might sound stressful, but there are plenty of resorts and activities to suit little ones (or even the grumpiest of teenagers).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No matter your age, it’s impossible not to fall in love with the beauty of this UNESCO-listed ancient town. Its picturesque, lantern-adorned yellow buildings ooze charm, particularly in the summer months when they’re covered with bright pink bougainvillea flowers. Boutique hotels far outnumber backpacker hostels in this sleepy city and there’s not a huge party scene. Instead, visitors enjoy banana boat rides, cooking classes and lantern-making. For outdoorsy families, there’s the option to cycle through the rice fields or take a kayak tour down the river.
Although it’s considered one of Vietnam’s major cities, Danang is much calmer and less overwhelming than the metropolises of Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. Its pristine beaches are perfect for a spot of family relaxation, while Son Tra mountain offers stunning views of the entire city. You can hike it if you’re up for some adventurous bonding time, although you can always take a car if the kids are too young. There are two theme parks to visit: Asia Park, home of the famous Sun Wheel, and Ba Na Hills, a faux French village which is often referred to as ‘Vietnamese Disneyland.’
The fine white sands and sparkling waters of Phu Quoc hold universal appeal. This peaceful island mainly attracts honeymooners and families, and is home to many luxurious resorts. There are plenty of island tours offering snorkelling and fishing, as well as visits to pearl farms and the infamous coconut prison where captured Viet Cong were held. If you’re looking for a cheesy good time, Vinpearl Land is a fun day out; the park is home to Vietnam’s largest zoo, plus shows and a plethora of wacky water rides.
The natural wonders of Mui Ne – including the spectacular sand dunes and enchanting fairy stream – make it a great family destination. There are plenty of upscale resort choices which are very reasonably priced. Thanks to its microclimate and geographical location, Mui Ne is the most popular destination in Vietnam for watersports – activity lovers rejoice. Most of its beaches, however, are quiet and peaceful places to relax. If the kids get bored with that, there’s mini golf and a trampoline club to keep them entertained for hours.
This exquisite limestone bay is not to be missed on a trip to Vietnam, and exploring its other-worldly beauty is a fantastic way to make some great family memories. There are plenty of family-friendly cruises around the bay, which offer activities such as kayaking and cooking classes, or even spot of karaoke for your little superstars. Bhaya Cruise is a five-star boat with large suites designed for families, while Glory Cruise’s spacious Family Deluxe Cabins are a great budget option.
Located in Vietnam’s Central Highlands, Dalat’s temperate climate means you don’t have to worry about little ones overheating. This quiet city is surrounded by natural beauty, including sites such as the scenic Prenn waterfall and the picturesque Valley of Love. You can take a cable car ride over the lush green hills or even hike them if you want to wear the children out. Nature aside, attempting to navigate the topsy-turvy, Gaudi-inspired Hang Nha Villa – more commonly known as the Crazy House – is a fun challenge for everybody and should definitely be on your Dalat bucket list.
Ask any Vietnamese person for a beach recommendation and they’ll likely recommend Nha Trang. Avoid the busy city and stay in one of the secluded beach resorts. You can laze the day away on the white sand shores or take a boat tour and hop between the small tropical islands dotted around. As well as being home to some of Vietnam’s most beautiful beaches, Nha Trang offers several theme parks. There’s good old Vinpearl Land, or if you fancy something a little more unique, the 100 Egg spa theme park makes for a memorable day. In addition to mineral mud baths, there’s an adventure zone where families can take part in team building activities or enjoy a quiet picnic.
Madagui Forest City
Buried in the jungle of the Lam Dong province, Madagui Forest City is the perfect destination for active, adventurous families. From ziplining to zorbing, there’s a huge array of activities to bring the whole tribe together. If you visit during the months of June-October there’s the option to go fruit picking, though be warned – smelly durian trees abound. There are reasonably priced villas for families to stay in, or outdoorsy clans can choose to camp under the stars.
This sleepy beachfront town is perfect for families seeking a laid-back, non-touristy vibe. Thanks to Vung Tau’s lack of crowds and crazy traffic, it’s a great place to amble around and enjoy a picnic or two. There are some decidedly different types of family fun on offer here, such as watching the greyhound racing at Lam Son Stadium or climbing Mount Nho to visit the giant Jesus statue and enjoy the incredible views.
Informally known as ‘Halong Bay on land’, Ninh Binh province is a serene, rural area consisting of rice fields and gorgeous limestone mountains. There’s plenty to explore, such as the easily navigable caves of Cuc Phuong national park and the mountainside temples of the Bich Dong pagoda. Hang Mua mountain offers breathtaking views of the region, or a boat ride through the Tam Coc river is a great way to take in its natural beauty without tiring out little legs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.