For many tourists, Vietnam brings to mind beaches, river deltas, rice paddies and jagged mountains. But underneath this country’s diverse and exotic landscape hides another dimension of beauty. From the grottoes at Trang An to Son Doong, the world’s largest cave, there are many geological wonders for you to experience on your next holiday to Vietnam.
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Nothing compares to Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. It stands alone as the Kingdom of Caves in Vietnam. Limestone karsts jut out like the humps of an ancient dragon, while unseen rivers flow through underground worlds large enough to have their own ecosystems. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is roughly 210 kilometres northwest of Hue, located in a sparsely populated area that isn’t on the usual itinerary for tourists – but should be.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tu Lan Cave
To get the full cave experience while you’re in Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park, head to Tu Lan Cave. You’ll swim through underground rivers, camp on a beach, crawl over underground waterfalls and hike through amazing valleys. You’ll actually have to get down and dirty to make it through this adventure, but there’s no need to worry. Trained guides are there to keep you safe.
Son Doong Cave
Son Doong gained instant fame in 2010 when a team of British explorers reported that it was in fact the largest cave in the world by volume. Since then, Son Doong has become one of the most sought-after destinations for tourists in Vietnam. Unfortunately, the number of tours is very limited. Fewer than 2,000 people have gone on the week-long trip since tours first started in 2013. Book way in advance if you want to experience this natural wonder.
Paradise Cave is the most popular spot in the park, featuring giant stalagmites and stalactites that give you a real sense of the eternities it took for these underground realms to form. There are also stairs for those who don’t feel like climbing over boulders and waterfalls.
Ha Long Bay
These iconic islands are a must-see for most people travelling through Vietnam. Every year, millions explore the bay on a wide variety of tours, trips and excursions. And while most people prefer to float around the islands, you can actually go inside many of them as well. For a different kind of experience, we recommend you get a kayak and paddle your way in.
Ninh Binh Province
Just a short drive from Hanoi, Ninh Binh is a convenient way to see amazing caves without investing a large chunk of your holiday time. This area is often referred to as Ha Long Bay on land, though it’s not nearly as crowded.
Trang An Grottoes
Most of these caves are flooded, so you’ll have to row into them. Guides usually do the hard work, so sit back, relax and take in the beautiful scenery. Some of the grottoes are a bit of a squeeze, but the guides know what they’re doing. And while the caves aren’t as extensive as those in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, visiting the Trang An Grottoes adds a cultural element to your trip, with the chance to see some temples and other wonderful examples of Vietnamese architecture.
Tam Coc is a little town just a few kilometres away from the Trang An Grottoes – and it’s just about the prettiest place you’ll ever see. This, along with its appearance in 1992 Oscar-winning film Indochine, is why Tam Coc is so popular with tourists. Rivers meander through limestone karsts and rice paddies and into the mouths of caves, making for a picture-perfect experience. If you’re in Hanoi for any length of time, you really should book a trip to Tam Coc. It’s a great way to reset after you’ve been through traffic hell.
So much of Vietnam’s beauty is hidden below the surface, etched and carved into the mountains hugging the coastline of this picturesque nation.
To discover the caves of Vietnam, and all the other sites it has to offer, check out Intrepid’s range of Vietnam trips here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.