The Tram Ton Pass wraps itself around Mount Fansipan like a crown worn proudly atop the head of Vietnam. Nestled 55 kilometers east of the preposterous 10-lane boulevards of Lai Chau, and just west of the fantastically touristy mountain town of Sapa, it sits at nearly 2,000 meters, making it the loftiest road in the country.
East Along QL4d
Twenty or 30 kilometers west of Tram Ton, the road begins to twist upward toward the sharp pinnacles that make up the Hoang Son Lien mountain range. At times, buses and vans can come barreling around the mountainous switchbacks making a ride less than ideal, so it’s important to stay far to the right if riding a motorbike or the like — and take it slow. The views grow in grandeur, so you’ll want to pull off to the side often. It’s one of many places throughout the north where the scenery takes over and makes anyone feel minuscule in comparison.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Love at First Sight
Riding along this stretch of QL4d is a wonderful experience; limestone peaks jostle for superiority all around and steep drop-offs give way to bucolic valleys far in the distance below. As the road makes one final switchback to the left, the Tram Ton Pass begins its ascent toward the viewing decks over a mile up. The ride is shorter than other famous passes in Vietnam like Ma Pi Leng or Hai Van, yet on a clear day the views extend endlessly. It’s easy going and, save for the vans and tour buses, overwhelmingly enjoyable.
The Stop at the Top
After curving in and out of evergreen forested limestone walls, the pass straightens and shoots up to the south where viewing decks reach out toward neighboring Mount Fansipan. The covered wooden structures, clinging daringly to the edge, offer souvenirs and overpriced albeit delicious jerky and provide incredible views to the road, mountains and valleys below.
Make a Day of It
The Tram Ton Pass is usually completed in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Luckily there are a number of nearby attractions to see along the way to make for a full day of exploration. The Tam Tinh Falls lie less than an hour toward Lai Chau and the overly touristy Silver Falls minutes to the east. Just beyond the pass, if heading east, a viewing area looks out in the direction of rice terraces and Sapa. Nearby, the Sun World Fansipan Legend cable car ferries tourists to the country’s highest peak. For a longer ride, Vietnam Coracle, the travelers bible to riding Vietnam, has a terrific loop throughout the region.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.