When it comes to natural wonders in Vietnam, Ha Long Bay demands a mention. But Vietnam has so much more to offer nature lovers, so let’s take a look at the mountains, paddies, lakes, waterfalls, caves and spectacular beaches you should also check out in this varied, fascinating nation.
Interested in visiting Vietnam? Let our local insider show you the best of the country during Culture Trip’s specially curated 12-day Vietnam adventure for small groups.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hang Sơn Đoòng
Tours into the cave – the world’s biggest by volume – aren’t cheap. The descent is tricky too, so only experienced guides are allowed to take tourists inside. You also have to climb over the Great Wall of Vietnam. This isn’t an excursion for a casual hiker, but it’s an experience to remember.
These lesser-known islands lie off the southern coast of Vietnam. In days long gone, political prisoners and other undesirables were sent here to be tortured for information. Nowadays, however, there are prime scuba diving spots and amazing hikes, plus you can check out some local wildlife such as the crab-eating macaque and the black giant squirrel. Sea turtles breed on these islands too; arrange with local park rangers to watch newly hatched babies as they start their adventures.
Paddies outside Hội An
Hội An itself is a spectacle to behold, but there’s plenty of natural beauty outside the city as well. You can rent bicycles and motorbikes to go for rides in stunning paddies, where lumbering water buffaloes roam and old farmers tend the same fields as their ancestors.
Hai Van Pass
While man-made, it’s the jungles that make this road so special. It’s a serpentine stretch carved into the side of a mountain just north of Đà Nẵng that climbs over a chunk of the Annamite Range, the mountains bordering Vietnam and Laos.
Fansipan and the Muong Hoa Valley
These two could each have their own spot on this list, but we’ll put them together since they can see each other. Fansipan is the tallest mountain in Indochina, looming over the town of Sapa in the far north. Below Sapa lies the Muong Hoa Valley, an amazing expanse of terraced paddies and villages.
Mũi Né dunes
The dunes of Mũi Né make for a strange yet unforgettable experience. If it weren’t for the deep blue waters and jungle forests surrounding this area, you might think you were in Namibia or Saudi Arabia.
Before the Mekong River finishes its journey, it splits into a maze of rivers that give south Vietnam its unique ecosystem of flooded plains and mangrove forests.
Bắc Sơn District
This area of odd topography and amazing views is in the northeast of Vietnam, in Lạng Sơn Province. It’s sparsely populated but ripe with beautiful scenes.
Ba Bể Lake
This lake is part of the Ba Bể National Park in northeast Vietnam. It’s the largest natural lake in the country, enclosed by limestone cliffs and old-growth forests.
Ban Gioc Waterfall
These waterfalls, the largest in Vietnam by volume, straddle the border with China to the north. Those on the more adventurous side of travelling can rent a motorbike and make the spectacular journey on their own, but there are plenty of tours and shuttles as well.
Ninh Bình Province
This area is best known for its jutting karst limestone formations. There’s hiking, tours of grottoes, and boat rides along the rivers. For some of the most picturesque views, head to the town of Tam Cốc.
Phú Quốc Island
Phú Quốc Island is found off the southern coast of Vietnam, near the border with Cambodia. For many, this island has the best beaches in the country and although developments are swallowing much of the coastline, the island still has a chill vibe for those looking to relax.
This little mountain village was once a cool weather playground for the colonial French in Vietnam. Nowadays, it’s a favourite honeymoon destination for young lovers from the south. Tour companies offer many different excursions out to see the hills, lakes and farms around the outskirts of the city.
It only takes two hours to get to these islands from Hội An or Đà Nẵng, but there aren’t many places to stay overnight. Life on these islands is significantly more laid-back than the rest of Vietnam, which is why they are popular with people looking to slow down after some time in the cities. You can visit with Culture Trip as part of our exclusive 12-day Vietnam adventure, led by our local insider.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.