Mũi Dinh is a relatively unknown lookout east of Ho Chi Minh City where developers have big plans in mind. But for now, it’s a quiet area where you can find secluded beaches, seafood and spectacular views of the hot, dry landscape. Here’s why you should visit Mũi Dinh.
For those of you who enjoy peace and quiet as you swim on undisturbed stretches of beach, the coastline around Mũi Dinh is mostly undeveloped, with many little alcoves to explore. You may need to do a bit of off-road driving to get there, but you’ll be glad you did.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
See where dragons came to die
According to legend, the area around Mũi Dinh is where dragons once came to die. The heat and agony of their demise baked the land into the harsh desert we see today, and their bones became the cacti and boulders that scar this harsh area.
Spectacular coastal highway
The road through Mũi Dinh used to be a bit sketchy, but they’ve recently completed a coastal highway to connect Phan Rang and its beachfront resorts to the sleepy fishing village of Cà Ná, so there’s no need to worry about road conditions anymore. That means you can enjoy the windswept views with peace of mind.
It’s along a popular motorbike route
And while we’re on the topic of driving, Mũi Dinh is part of one of the best motorbike routes in southern Vietnam. Many people opt for the mountain routes through Đà Lạt and Pleiku, but the coastal roads offer their own adventures, with vast stretches of empty coastline and little fishing villages. Learn more about the route through Mũi Dinh here.
Plans for an Ecopark
Architectural firm Chapman Taylor recently announced plans for a massive Ecopark to be built along the coast at Mũi Dinh. The plans include six resort hotels and 500 beachfront villas, as well as a theme park and casino. This will drastically change the feel and look of the area, so depending on when you’re reading this article, you either need to see this area before it changes, or have a look at this colossal new development.
The weather is relatively stable
For most regions in Vietnam, the time of year is an important consideration when it comes to travel. In northern Vietnam, there are months when you’ll find yourself shivering as flurries dust the ground, and in the southern provinces, you may very well find yourself knee-deep in murky rainwater for the duration of your holiday. The nice thing about Mũi Dinh, however, is that the weather is fairly stable. It’s hot and dry pretty well the whole year round.
Sơn Hải fishing village
Just north of Mũi Dinh is a sun-baked village where they’ve been fishing the sea for many generations. Faded coracles sit near the shore, waiting for wiry men to maneuver them over the waves, using figure eight motions to propel themselves and their nets to where the calmer waters await. It’s mesmerizing to watch these boats in action.
Along the highway both north and south of Mũi Dinh, you’ll find several seafood restaurants serving dishes caught from the nearby waters. One of the most amazing experiences in Vietnam is eating tasty seafood within eyesight of the blue fishing boats that caught your meal.
Colonial era lighthouse
For a glimpse at the past, head to the colonial lighthouse and see where ships moved along Vietnam’s rocky coastline over a hundred years ago. The building itself isn’t all that impressive, but when you combine its history with the amazing views, this spot is worth the journey.
There are many quiet places around Mũi Dinh for those of you who like camping. All you’ll need is your own equipment – easy enough to find in Ho Chi Minh City – and a bit of cash in case somebody asks you for a small fee, which is normal.
Tanyoli Amusement Park
If you’re sick of highway driving on your motorbike, then check out the Tanyoli Amusement Park, south of Sơn Hải. They have dune buggies, ATVs and a huge off-road course where you can let loose and have some fun. And at night, join them for their beach party, where dancers put on a show in front of a huge bonfire.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.