With gilded temples, glittering beaches and relaxing hotels and resorts, Thailand beautifully blends the ancient with the modern. It’s also as loved for its fragrant cuisine as its scenery and sights, with many restaurants offering views alongside colourful dishes packed with fresh local ingredients.
Sail the other fabulous locations in the world by joining one of our multi-day sailing adventures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Khrua Nong, Khao Lak
This laid-back spot in the middle of Takua Pa, a small town in the southern Phang Nga province, is as colourful as the dishes cooked up by husband and wife Ae and Nok. Sit down on a red chair beside the bright green walls and savour an affordable plate of seafood, chicken or pork – sourced daily. The soft-shell crab with spicy sauce is a big favourite, and they’ll even pack you a takeaway.
Memories Beach Bar, Khao Lak
This laid-back bar and restaurant, south of Pakarang beach, offers all things to everyone with a combo of burgers, sandwiches and Thai food. Don’t ignore the cocktails either – especially when accompanied by the sun dipping down the horizon. Fancy trying your hand at surfing? The Pakarang Surf Shop next door is part of the bar, so you can book a lesson in seconds. A reward for going in high season is the fire show on the beach at night.
Family Tree Restaurant, Krabi
On the ground floor of the contemporary Family Tree Hotel, a couple of streets from Krabi waterfront in southern Thailand, this homely cafe keeps your cup filled to the brim with coffee from around the world. Your plate is also piled high with irresistible international pastries, from black forest gâteau to crème brûlée – although it’s not all a dentist’s nightmare. Experimental Thai fusion and traditional dishes are also on the menu.
Poo Dam, Krabi
One of those places adored by locals and travellers alike, this low-key restaurant’s location opposite the crab statue on the riverside hints at the menu. If you like seafood, you’ll love the freshly caught grilled prawns, fried squid, sea bass and crab – poo dam means “black crab”. Wash it all down with lime juice or a cool beer. The open-side set-up isn’t fancy, but you’ll welcome the breeze on a balmy night.
Samchong Seafood, Phang Nga
In coastal Thailand, you expect to spend time on the water, and at this restaurant it’s guaranteed. Samchong Seafood floats over the waves, accessed by a stilted walkway near Kalai village, between Phuket and Phang Nga town. With views of the Phang Nga limestone formations to feast your eyes on, feed your stomach satisfying salads laced with dried smoked prawns, or share a whole snapper with punchy lime and garlic.
Koh Panyee Village Restaurant, Koh Panyee
Head across to nearby Koh Panyee, a stilted fishing village in the middle of the Andaman Sea that sways with the waves created by passing boats. The vast Koh Panyee Village Restaurant serves tantalisingly fresh oysters, lobster, fishcakes and prawn tempura. When your food has digested, there’s even a floating football pitch next to the jetty for a post-lunch kickabout.
The Good View Restaurant, Koh Yao Noi
In those glowing green waters of Phang Nga Bay, halfway between Phuket and Krabi, Koh Yao Noi naturally offers sublime seafood restaurants, including this one built on a large wooden deck over the beach. Under the shade of ridiculously high palms, savour crab with a tamarind and coriander sauce – or, for vegetarians, crispy vegetable tempura. Watching the sunset over the water is the real lure, and unsurprisingly, the reason for the restaurant’s name.
Anna’s Restaurant, Phi Phi Islands
Next to the Moskito Diving shop on Koh Phi Phi, this popular Tongsai venue specialises in European and Thai food, meaning you can tuck into vegetable spring rolls followed by chicken schnitzel. Always busy, its diners spill out onto the tables outside. Some sit under the palm-fringed frontage, while others keep cool inside, as the air conditioning blasts the whitewashed walls.
Tour other waterside restaurants in the world by embarking on a multi-day voyage with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.