Phuket is home to a massive array of hotel-based accommodation. In turn, if you require a bit more space – as well as perks such as a kitchenette, long-stay amenities, a private pool and a bit more privacy than the typical hotel can provide – consider a stay at one of the island’s glam holiday rentals. Read on for our pick of the best and book your next stay at one of these Airbnbs and Thai cottages right here on Culture Trip.
Each spanning one to three bedrooms, the villas at Two Villas Holiday Phuket Onyx Style Nai Harn Beach are pockets of pure, opulent luxury. Decked out with bold, stylish furniture, contemporary art and sculpture, fully-equipped kitchenettes and inviting, spa-worthy plunge pools. Additionally, there’s access to a large pool and fitness center, and you’re within walking distance of the postcard-from-paradise beach.
Sleek and sexy, in dark leather and hues of red and black, Dydi Loft stands out from the majority of accommodation on Phuket. The open-plan rooms offer unique furniture, tons of space, kitchenettes for self-catering, and a location within walking distance of the island’s most famous beach – which also means easy access to a smorgasbord of eating, drinking, shopping and entertainment options.
With an inviting swimming pool as its centerpiece, Phuket’s The Iris Pool Villa is a stunner. The two-bedroom house is spacious and airy, with lots of open communal areas for lounging and relaxing, soft lighting and handsome, darkwood furniture. A kitchenette means you can get stuck into some cooking, while a massive tub introduces another welcome, although hardly necessary, aquatic wallowing option. A location in the island’s far south means you’re only a short taxi ride from some excellent, lesser-visited beaches.
If views are an important factor, you’ll need to give serious consideration to Patong Heights. Perched on a hill overlooking the island’s most famous beach, and characterised by vast windows and bags of open space, the house makes the best of its unique location. Furniture is sleek and modern and there’s a kitchenette for self-catering. And it’s only a short taxi ride to the sand, dining, shopping and entertainment at leafy Patong Beach.
Want to swap Phuket’s party scene for a bit of peace, quiet and greenery? Then consider a stay at Kata Ocean View Condominium by Lofty. Located inland, the one-bedroom condo looks out over lushly forested hills. There’s plenty of space, subtle, organic furniture, and access to a gorgeous infinity pool. There’s a kitchen for self-catering, or otherwise, it’s only a brief taxi ride to heaps of eating, drinking and entertainment options at Kata Beach.
La Ville Phuket Pool Villa unites one and two-bedroom, pool-equipped villas at a quiet inland location on Phuket. Rooms are equipped with plush, contemporary-feeling furniture, gleamingly modern kitchenettes and inviting, spacious living rooms. Washing machines are a practical touch, and a prime location in the center of Phuket means it’s a doddle to get to just about any part of the island, including gorgeous Nai Thon beach, 10 minutes’ drive away.
Located a brief walk from Phuket’s Karon Beach is this contemporary villa, with its beautiful private infinity pool. The two bedrooms are decked out with furniture and decorations that emphasize traditional Thai design elements. A balcony makes it possible to step from your room directly into the pool, while a functional kitchen makes self-catering a snap. Those traveling in large groups or families will appreciate the three bathrooms.
Looking for a bit more space than you’d normally find in Phuket’s often dinky villas? Then consider a stay at Kamala Heights. The massive, semi-open-plan, inland villa spans seven bedrooms with a private pool as centerpiece. There’s acres of communal space and a vast balcony for flopping down on, making the house ideal for large groups or extended families. Furniture is sturdy and handsome, there’s a vast, fully-equipped kitchen and even a conference room, which doubles as a movie theater.
This stylish boutique villa in Rawai stands out for its enticing private salt-water pool and exceptional quality and comfort. Great for a family holiday or getaway with friends, the villa can sleep up to six guests in three beautiful king-sized bedrooms. All rooms open up onto the pool area and private terrace. With a BBQ and a well-equipped kitchen, everyone can enjoy their favourite meals. The interiors are spacious and you can feel right at home in the open-plan living room, dining room, and kitchen. Two bathrooms add to the convenience. Round-the-clock airport pick-ups facilitate your arrival at this exceptional villa. While situated in a quiet neighbourhood the property is just a short walk from the area’s main tourist amenities.
A fabulous condo for party-loving travellers, sun-worshipers, and people who like to be in the thick of the action, this beautiful Airbnb not only has a terrific location but also offers a luxurious place to rest and recharge between lively days and nights. Enjoy staying a stone’s throw from the best of energetic Patong and the infamous Bangla Road while being able to unwind in peace. The rooftop infinity-edge pool and large ground-level pool will help you to cool down in the sun and guests also have full use of the on-site gym, steam room, tropical gardens, and sunbathing areas. Soak up beach and mountain views from your balcony and benefit from all modern conveniences in your stylish room. The one-bedroom apartment has a kitchen if you feel like taking a break and staying in to chill in front of the TV with a home-cooked meal.
Sarah Williams contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.