After being big fish in small ponds, Thailand’s top football players have traded the Land of Smiles for the Land of the Rising Sun — and it looks to be paying off.
A regional powerhouse
Depsite the game being played by millions up and down the country, Thailand isn’t exactly renowned for its footballing prowess. While its most successful clubs Buriram United and Muangthong United might qualify for the Asian Champions League, they don’t make a lasting or winning impression. The national team might be dominant on a regional level, with the U23’s side consistently winning at the SEA Games and the senior side the record winners of the ASEAN Football Championship, yet they’ve failed to make a dent at international level, failing to ever quality for a World Cup. Their current FIFA world ranking is a lowly 129, and their record high of 43rd isn’t much to shout about either. However, that could all soon change.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Carving a pathway
For Thailand to grow as a footballing side, it’s important that its players get opportunities to ply their trade in more competitive, higher-quality leagues. And whilst it’s unrealistic to expect them to waltz into the starting line-ups in European leagues, there’s a league not too far away that more than suits the bill — Japan’s J.League. Last season saw Muangthong United’s Chanathip Songkrasin move to Consadole Sapporo on loan — a move he’s repeated this year — and it’s forced those in Japan to take note of the potential trove of talent in Thailand.
Chanathip, known as “Messi Jay”, has been considered one of Thailand’s greatest talents and hopes for a number of years, and his playmaking performances and dizzying dribbles last season saw him earn several plaudits from the media both in Japan and in Thailand. In the wake of his success, two more Thai players headed to Japan for the new season, with Teerasil Dangda joining Sanfrecce Hiroshima and Theerathon Bunmathan signing up for Vissel Kobe, both from Muangthong United. Goalkeeper Kawin Thamsatchanan also left Thailand, joining the second tier Belgian side OH Leuven.
As fate would have it, the opening day of the season saw Teerasil and Chanathip square off, as Sanfrecce Hiroshima hosted Consadole Sapporo. As former teammates at one of Thailand’s biggest clubs, there was significant intrigue back home, with the game broadcast on Thai television and many places hosting watching parties open to the public.
Proving that Chanathip’s success last year wasn’t a fluke, Teerasil took it one step further and made history, scoring the only goal of the game and becoming the first Thai player to score in the J.League in the process, earning the Man of the Match award for his efforts. That same weekend, Theerathon lined up alongside World Cup winner Lukas Podolski in an opening day defeat for Vissel Kobe.
Not to be outdone, the following week Chanathip scored his first goal in the J.League, in a 3-3 draw away to Cerezo Osaka after which he was widely praised for his performance.
Looking to the future
With the three prominent Thai players shining in their fledgling careers in the J.League, the future is potentially bright for Thai football. While Chanathip shone last season and continues to do so this campaign, the likes of Teerasil and Theerathon repeating his success this season would be something that the J.League clubs would be sure to take note of. Already, other Thai players have been linked with making the switch.
Thailand’s best players going abroad to play and develop, further increases the stock of Thai football and would see them return to the national team fold as better, more rounded footballers, giving them a greater chance to qualify for the 2022 or 2026 World Cups. Likewise, the opportunity for J.League clubs to expand their markets and potential revenue streams into Southeast Asia makes it just as attractive a proposition for the clubs as it does for the players. Chanathip might carry the future of Thai football on his shoulders, though despite being only five-foot 1in-tall (158cm), he’s shown no signs of dropping them yet.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.