Tech-savvy tourists will be happy to hear that Bangkok has an entire indoor mall dedicated to people like them. Visitors and locals alike regularly frequent Pantip Plaza, the best place in town to find any and all electronics. Here is everything you need to know about the IT mall.
Almost every time visitors walk through the large glass doors of this mall, there will be some new promotion taking over the main entranceway. One week, there will be discounted athletic clothing, and the next it will be cheap Galaxy and Vivo phones. One consistent thing visitors will find, however, is a constant hodgepodge of discounted cell phone accessories, selfie sticks, lighted neon signs, and essentially the most random assortment of electronics one could imagine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are a few banks located on the ground floor, as well as electronic toys and some shops dedicated to stylish bags, suitcases, and backpacks. Continue to barrel through the electronics, and visitors will find even cheaper gadgets away from the entrance. The further back visitors venture into the mall, the less expensive the items get, which is true on every floor. This area is also where shoppers will find the majority of the gaming gear. There are a handful of eateries on the first floor, including McDonald’s and an A & W Restaurant.
As shoppers make their way up to the first floor, be warned that Pantip Plaza, as incredibly popular at it is for its amazing, affordable prices, is also known to sell a number of counterfeit and pirated items. Apparently, the government has been working to alleviate this problem, but this does not mean it has gone away entirely. One of the best ways to spot a counterfeit item is its price: if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
The first floor of Pantip Plaza is home to IT Junction, an even larger collection of small and seemingly random electronic goods than on the ground floor, and it is where visitors can purchase refurbished electronics, including iPhones and iPads. Visitors can also get electronic devices repaired here, should they be so lucky to have a broken one. If visitors are in need of a cheap phone or any Apple product, this is the floor to explore. There are old LCD monitors towards the back as well as old MacBooks, ranging in price from ฿10,000–20,000 (approximately US$290–579). Eager shop keepers will invite you to have a look over and over again, waving down shoppers as they meander aimlessly through stalls; this gets very old, very quickly.
The second floor is the lifestyle floor. There are a handful of restaurants, should visitors need to refuel, including Jiang’s Healthy Fish Balls. Photographers will be happy to hear that this is the floor dedicated almost entirely to cameras. Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic—if you can name the brand, this floor has it. In addition to these, this floor features vendors selling car, action, and digital cameras in shops like Camera Cafe, Camera Shop, and World Camera.
Next, visitors can make their way to the hardware section on the third floor. Those with Apple products that need fixing should head to iShop by SPVi, an authorized reseller of Apple products. One thing to note is that there are many missing shop owners in addition to shops being closed entirely for seemingly no apparent reason. The best time to visit Pantip Plaza in order to avoid abandoned shops is in the afternoon. Most shops open at least by 10 a.m., though the mall technically opens at 9 a.m. Many of the shop owners will pack up and head home early as well.
While it is certainly fun to roam this seemingly never-ending tech mall, visitors will start to feel as though they are circling the same products over and over again after a while. Déjà vu will hit strong as shoppers lap yet another refurbished computer stall.
The fourth floor has been dubbed the solution floor. It is certainly the most modern level, with mock offices staged by Microsoft to show shoppers just how awesome their office space could be with their products. This level is also where guests will find the Food Street. This food court offers cheap Thai food, and there is no other type of cuisine available. As a heads up, it is not entirely vegetarian-friendly.
Also located on the fourth floor is Syn Hub by Synergy Technology. This co-working space features its own café, foliage décor, and some incredible views of the city below. This floor is going under some renovation at the moment, and visitors will find that each floor gets quieter and more abandoned than the last as they continue to make their way up.
Up one last floor is IT City, the giant IT superstore. It is the largest IT store in Pantip Plaza. It is broken up into zones that allow visitors to easily find what it is they are seeking. There is a printer zone, projector zone, laptop zone, mobile zone, and more. It is a bit more organized than the rest of Pantip Plaza, for those visitors who cannot stand the chaos that is the tech mall. Rest assured that the products at this superstore are legitimate.
How to get there
Visitors can get to Pantip Plaza from a few of the stations off the Skytrain. The easiest is to take the Skytrain to the BTS Station Ratchathewi and take exit four. Go down the stairs, turn around, and then make a right on Phetchaburi Road. It’s a 10-minute walk or a ฿40 (approximately US$1.16) baht motorbike ride to the IT mall from this corner.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.