Koh Lanta is the collective name for two beautiful islands off the coast of Krabi. Made up of Koh Lanta Yai and Koh Lanta Noi, the islands are popular with people seeking long, sandy beaches and a relaxed stay. There are several more attractive islands nearby; here are some of the most picturesque.
Koh Ngai is a small island in Krabi Province; measuring just four kilometres by two kilometres, it’s certainly easy to get around. There are sandy beaches and rugged rocks around the island’s perimeter and coconut plantations and mountainous forests inland. It’s a great place for spotting an array of birds and local wildlife, including monitor lizards and macaques. Visitors can also explore the underwater world, with several reefs accessible right from the beach.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Koh Jum is another island off the coast of Krabi. Chilled out and laid-back, it attracts those who want to escape to a quiet slice of paradise and leave the party-loving crowds behind. Accessible by long-tail boat, the island is home to a sizeable chao lae population, also known as sea gypsies, and other residents are largely of Chinese ancestry. There’s a smaller group of Thai Muslims too, creating much diversity in a small area. Explore the local villages, unwind on the beaches, swing in a hammock, devour a great book, and let life really slow down on this lovely island.
Koh Phi Phi
Koh Phi Phi, made up of the two islands of Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Leh, is the most famous and most visited of Krabi’s islands. Many people flock to the larger island (Koh Phi Phi Don) for partying, pampering, water sports, and beach time. Day trips to Koh Phi Phi Leh, including the iconic Maya Bay, are a good way to admire even more natural beauty. It’s definitely not a quiet island and the crowds are causing the island to lose some of its charm, though there are still many compelling reasons to add Phi Phi to your Thailand bucket list.
The twin islands of Koh Rok are part of the Mu Ko Lanta National Park. Located just 30 kilometres away from Koh Lanta, the islands can easily be visited on a day trip. In the high season, however, there are several accommodations for those who want to stay for longer. The major draw is the large reef in the surrounding waters, along with a rich diversity of marine life. There are great opportunities for snorkelling and diving. The soft, white, sandy beaches and the wildlife-rich jungles offer even more for outdoor lovers to enjoy.
One of the lesser-visited and picturesque Trang Islands, Koh Mook (also sometimes spelt as Koh Muk) has an unusual and interesting feature: an enclosed beach that must be reached by swimming through a cave from the ocean. Known as the Morakot Cave (Emerald Cave), a short swim brings you to a small, sandy beach with sheer greenery-clad cliff walls that completely seal it off from the rest of the island. Elsewhere on Koh Mook you’ll find beautiful sandy beaches that are blissfully free from crowds, and island activities include fishing, jungle trekking, and relaxing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.