You can now travel with Culture Trip to Thailand on our 10-day adventure through some of the most beautiful islands and beaches in the country. Led by a local guide, you’ll get to experience places and activities others won’t.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s home to Koh Phi Phi
The most talked-about island in Thailand is located in Krabi province, a mere 90-minute ferry ride away from the mainland. As well as having the stunning Maya Bay, Phi Phi is also home to wild beach parties, numerous bars and restaurants, and stunning natural features. There are even top-class diving adventures to be had for those of you whose day begins at eight in the morning, not the evening. Beaches, bars and buckets — what more could you want from a stay on an island paradise?
It’s also home to Koh Lanta
Here’s another gorgeous island to be found in Krabi. Koh Lanta is almost the polar opposite of Koh Phi Phi: a big island that’s largely peaceful, as opposed to a smaller, lively one. From peaceful beaches to swathes of rugged green jungle, Lanta is a paradise; there are also plenty of cosy beach bars to keep you entertained.
There are plenty of activities and tours you can enjoy during your trip to Krabi. Whether it’s making new friends below the waves on a diving excursion, making your Instagram followers jealous on a four-island tour, or even learning how to cook your favourite meal, Krabi has enough to keep you busy no matter how long your visit.
The night markets
Markets are a great way to experience authentic slices of local culture, and Krabi has more than a few for you to delve right into. The best in the province is the Walking Street Market in Krabi Town; it’s a night market that runs from 5-10pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Not only is it home to delicious, freshly-cooked food; it’s also a shopping haven, with plenty of stalls selling locally-made crafts, accessories and clothing. It also features nightly live entertainment.
Railay rock climbing
Located between the major hubs of Ao Nang and Krabi Town is the stunning peninsula of Railay. Whilst it isn’t an island, the fact that it’s cut off from the mainland by sheer limestone cliffs means it’s only accessible by boat — and it’s these cliffs that have put the area on the map. Regarded as a top place for rock climbing, the Railay cliffs have both beginner and advanced routes; each rewards climbers with stunning views of the bay. Not a climber? Railay’s also home to beautiful beaches that might be more up your alley.
Love spicy food and curry? You’ll feel right at home in Krabi. Southern Thai food is the fiercest and most delicious in the country, and Krabi is a great place to try it all. From red-hot curries such as gaeng som and gaeng tai pla to the biryani-esque khao mok gai, it’s a culinary hotspot.
Tiger Cave Temple
If climbing up mountains sounds like the last thing you want to do on your holiday, you might want to stop reading now. Krabi is famed for its breathtaking karst landscape, and Tiger Cave Temple, or Wat Tham Suea in Thai, is a series of temples that includes a stunning Buddha statue just a mere 1,247 steps up to the summit of a mountain. A gruelling climb in Krabi’s tropical climate, it’s well worth the effort as those who reach the top are treated with stunning views out over the province and several beautiful statues.
The most popular place for tourists to stay in Krabi, Ao Nang is a bustling resort town just 20 minutes away from Krabi Town. Not only does it have a large number of great hotels, from the luxurious to the low-cost; it’s also chock-full of welcoming bars and restaurants. The main attraction, though, is Ao Nang beach. It’s a gorgeous strip of soft sand with mountain and karst views, it’s the perfect place in mainland Krabi to soak up the sun and go for a swim, just a stone’s throw away from all the action.
A stay in Krabi is one of the few stays in paradise that’s sure not to break the bank. Despite being popular with tourists, Krabi has remained much cheaper than nearby tourist hubs Phuket and Koh Samui. In terms of accommodation, the sheer number of choices available means bargains can be found without the need to compromise quality or stay in a hostel. Similarly, food from local joints and night markets isn’t subject to the”double-pricing” that you may encounter elsewhere in Thailand, leaving you with more cash to splash on tours and excursions.
Krabi’s also got plenty of reasons to get your trekking boots on. Whether it’s hiking to waterfalls near Tiger Cave Temple or kayaking around the mangroves in Ao Thalane, there’s plenty to do if you like to stay active. The best trekking route is found in Nong Thale; the Khao Ngon Nak trail is a tough climb up a mountain, made worthwhile with stunning views for miles at the top.
Despite a rapid growth in tourism, Krabi still feels like a true Thai experience. Local eating spots look like they haven’t changed in years, while it’s heartening to see the fishermen still going about their daily lives, bringing in catches in the early hours. Krabi Town is so laid-back and nostalgic that you’ll never want to leave, so make sure to visit before the charm is lost forever.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.