The Vegetarian Festival in Phuket, an annual Taoist tradition observed in many Southeast Asian countries, came to a close last week. We visited Phuket in Thailand where many of the celebration’s most unusual and violent religious rituals are performed.
All over Phuket, red lanterns were hung as decorations for the Chinese-inspired festival. Delicious vegan-friendly food was being served buffet-style in a plethora of stalls and restaurants, where herds of people grabbed plates and a good helping of whatever vegan options there were.
Not all Thai people were masongs, or possessed by a medium, for the festival. Many were there with families and masks in tow, just looking to enjoy the good food and festival atmosphere.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
All ages participated in the festivities Saturday evening in Phuket Town, including this crew of kids. They set off firecrackers all night, even throughout the ceremonies that were taking place just feet away from their shenanigans.
Herds of people dressed in white made their way through the food stalls and merchants, selling everything from firecrackers to french fries. As night approached, the streets continued to get busier.
At 7 p.m., those celebrating the Vegetarian Festival made their way to Jui Tui Shrine, a popular destination for religious ceremonies and celebrations. This is the entrance to the shrine before the crowd made their way to participate in the bridge-walking ceremony to achieve purification.
The line began to form, each person wanting to cross the bridge of purification. Only those who followed the ten rules of the Vegetarian Festival could cross the bridge. Bridge crossing ceremonies took place around the city at its many shrines.
By the time the bridge crossing ceremony proceeded, thousands were lined up and ready to take part in the ceremony.
Masongs (those who are possessed by spirits or spirit mediums) lined either side of the two bridges as thousands of participants began to cross.
Those who could not or did not partake in the ceremony explored the grounds.
There are three statues of Chinese gods found within the shrine, as well as places for people to make merit. This shrine is one of the oldest shrines in Phuket, and it is highly regarded by Thai people.
This structure on the grounds of the Jui Tui Shrine was specifically made for lighting and setting off fireworks. Completed in 2011, it was built so people could throw fireworks in it, thus stifling the sound and encasing some of the smoke.
There was a parade the next morning. Those who gathered here have described the scene as entrancing and scary as the masongs made their way down Phuket’s roads with knives and axes piercing their skin. At every large intersection, the masongs would stop and chant while swinging their weapons into their bodies.
While the scenes might be shocking and gruesome to spectators, the masong are said to be protected from feeling any pain.
The crowd and masong continued to make their way down the streets of Phuket, axes and knives in tow.
The masong were not the only people participating in the parade. They were followed by a long line of vehicles, each one decorated with colorful flowers and shrines. The aftermath was a colorful one, with red firecrackers and colorful shreds of paper littering the streets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.