Thai cuisine is indeed celebrated worldwide for its incredible flavors and diversity. However, there’s much more to Thai food than what meets the taste buds. Delve deeper into the world of Thai cuisine as we uncover 11 fascinating things you might not know about it. From its rich cultural influences to its regional variations, Thai food offers a culinary journey that goes beyond just delicious dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nothing Is Baked
Good luck finding an oven in the home of a Thai person. Baked goods are certainly not in abundance here, with fried and grilled treats and meals having seemingly taken over the tastebuds of those who call Thailand home. If you’re looking for some delicious, carb-loaded baked goods, you’re going to have to search high and low, as well as hand over a decent amount of baht for it.
On The Cheap
Not only is Thai food delicious, but it is also super cheap. Depending on where it is visitors are eating, you can expect to pay as little as ฿35 for a large, tasty Thai meal. Some noodle dishes can be even cheaper, and many of the meals that do not consist of noodles are served with a large helping of rice. Regardless of what visitors are eating, they can expect to be satisfied and, often, uncomfortably full!
Dishes Are Region-specific
Those making their way through Thailand may find a particular dish and fall in love with it. Alas, geography can be cruel. Often the dishes that steal the hearts of travelers in the north of Thailand are nowhere to be found in the south and vice versa. That is because dishes in Thailand are region-specific. For example, gaeng hanglay is a popular dish in the north but is severely lacking in quantity elsewhere. Khao soi, one of the most devoured dishes in Chiang Mai, is another dish that is super specific to the north of Thailand, and those hoping to eat it time and again will have to search extensively to find it.
Thai food is certainly unique, but it did not get this way on its own. Some 2,000 years ago, many Chinese immigrants made their way to Thailand, and they brought their cuisine with them. From soy sauce to rice, the staple of the Thai diet originated in China. Of course, Thai people put their own spin on most of these dishes and traditions, however, those devouring a Thai meal might want to thank the Chinese for the role they played whatever meal they’re eating.
(Almost) Everything Has Sugar
Visitors who are watching what they eat should keep an eye on their meals as they are being prepared. It is not uncommon (in fact, very normal) for a spoonful or two of sugar to be thrown into the making of a Thai dish. From pad Thai to green papaya salad, almost everything has sugar in it. This is because Thai food combines all flavors to make for the perfect dish: salty, spicy, sour, and, of course, sweet.
Use A Spoon To Eat
Normally we would not include an etiquette eating tip on a list about Thai food. That being said, it is important to note that Thai people do not necessarily use a fork when devouring some of the country’s most noteworthy meals. Instead, Thai people will use a fork to push food onto a spoon. Chopsticks are used only for noodles.
Beer With Ice
Adamant beer-drinkers will be saddened to know that it is not uncommon for people here to drink their ice cold beer with … ice. Yes, you read that correctly. From streetside restaurants to upscale venues, Thais and foreigners who have been here long enough will be sipping on their favorite brews with a tin of ice in tow. Maybe it’s because the ice keeps the beer cold, even in Thailand’s often brutal heat. Regardless, be ready to sip on your favorite beer with a few ice cubes.
Not Everything Is Spicy
Many tourists come to the Land of Smiles bracing their taste buds for the onslaught of spicy food headed their way. While many Thai dishes are incredibly spicy, there are plenty of dishes that aren’t. This does not make the dish any less “Thai” or delicious, it simply means it is not spicy.
Breakfast, Lunch, And Dinner
Regardless of the time of day, Thai people will eat whatever it is they like, whenever they like. When it comes to food, there is no differentiation between what is considered breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There are Thai dishes that are more popular in the morning, however, they are also eaten regularly at all times of the day.
It Tastes Nothing Like Its Western Counterparts
Many visitors of Thailand believe they have a good understanding of what Thai food tastes like before arriving. While Thai food in the Western world is delicious, it tastes nothing like the authentic, Thai food found in Southeast Asia. While the differences are difficult to distinguish, we can tell you one thing: they are not the same. See for yourself by indulging in your favorite Thai dishes before heading home to its competitors.
Depending on where you are, the views and opinions on the availability of vegetarian food in Thailand will greatly differ. Those living in the center of Bangkok will convince you that Thailand is overflowing with vegetarian-friendly dishes. Those living just an hour east of the city will tell you otherwise. The truth lies somewhere in between.
Looking to experience the rich diversity of Asia in one trip? Join our Incredible Thailand and Laos tour by train, where you’ll get a taste of authentic cuisine, immerse yourself in vibrant cultures, and marvel at stunning architectural wonders.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.