Taichung has been growing in popularity of late and now welcomes thousands of tourists each weekend. There are plenty of things to see and do in this east coast city, but if you’re in the area for a short break, then perhaps it’s best to take advantage of a private tour and learn a little local history while taking in the sights.
Cycling tour of the city
The public bike service in Taichung provides tourists with the perfect opportunity to see this wonderful city from the saddle. With hundreds of stations around the city, there’s no need to worry about finding a bike. However, to get the most out of a day’s riding, a private tour is the best option.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
iBike Tour starts off at 8:30am and takes in some of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. Starting at Maple Valley Park, the tour continues to National Taichung Theater, Calligraphy Greenway, National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, Natural Way Six Arts Cultural Center, Old Taichung City Hall, and Old Taichung Train Station. And to finish off the tour, riders each get a cup of the country’s unofficial national drink, Pearl Milk Tea.
Walking tour of the city
TC Time Walk is an interesting walking tour of the city that takes in some of the most interesting areas that you won’t necessarily find in the guidebooks. With a local guide who knows everything there is to know about the city, walkers head to Old Taichung Train Station and take a course that brings them to local sweet shops, shaved ice stores, and the Sun Cake Museum.
It’s a great way to see the city and learn a lot about both local culture and the history of the city. The guides also speak English very well, making it the perfect tour for international visitors.
Private guided tour of the city
For tourists that aren’t too pushed on walking or cycling, there’s the Private One-Day Tour of Taichung. This tour takes in areas a little farther afield such as Rainbow Village and Tunghai University. The tour offers a hotel pick-up and a local guide well-versed in the city’s political and cultural history. For convenience and in case of time limitations, this is a great option.
Gaomei Wetlands Tour
The Gaomei Wetlands are on the outskirts of the city, and the endless wooden walkways are a wonderful place for local bird watchers. The wind turbines also make for an interesting contrast to this wild and ecologically diverse landscape.
The Gaomei Wetlands Tour is a full-day tour, but it’s not just the Wetlands that tourists get to see. The tour also takes in Quihong Valley and finishes off at Feng Chia Night Market where the street foods on offer are nothing short of incredible.
Houfeng Bikeway and Oyster Farming Tour
This is another biking tour in Taichung but this time with a difference. The Houfeng Bikeway is an incredibly scenic (and popular) cycle path that runs along an old railway track. It takes riders through tranquil countryside, over an old bridge, and through a long tunnel. The cycling finishes at lunchtime, and after a light meal, the tour moves on to the Taichung National Theater (Opera House).
Later in the afternoon, tourists will get a chance to visit an oyster farm and learn about the local industry before harvesting some fresh oysters of their own.
Wufeng Lin Family Mansion and Garden Half-Day Tour
Located in the Wufeng District of Taichung, the Wufeng Lin Family Mansion and Garden is a perfectly preserved residence from the time of the Qing Dynasty. This tour takes participants through the two main buildings and their extensive gardens, learning about the former residents and a little local history.
There’s also an opportunity to walk through Guangfu New Village, a former home for ex-members of the military and now a cultural hub. The tour ends with a visit to Wufeng Sake Distillery for a tour and some tasting.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.