Taiwan is quickly building a reputation as one of the most exciting places to visit in Asia. With its incredible scenery, amazingly friendly people and the most delectable cuisine, it’s easy to see why. But what about those special experiences that are unique to the island? Here are some of the most interesting things you can only do in Taiwan.
It’s Taiwan’s highest peak at 3,952 metres and a bucket list item for many Taiwanese people. Yushan, also known as Mount Jade, is located in one of Taiwan’s most beautiful national parks and surrounded by much of that incredible scenery the region is becoming famous for.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is often snowcapped, but from May until late September, the weather is okay for hiking and climbing. The unusual thing about this mountain is that the vast majority of the climb is quite easy making it an accessible climb for those with little or no experience. Unfortunately, permits are issued by way of lottery so if you’re lucky enough to get a chance to climb, take it.
There are very few places in the world that boast as much colour as this corner of Nantun District in the coastal city of Taichung. This one-time village for veterans is now a major tourist attraction thanks to the ageing Huang Yung-Fu. Back in 2008, the ex-soldier felt that his neighbourhood was drab and dreary so he set about redecorating it in every colour of the rainbow. He painted houses, walls, doors and even the ground in his attempt to bring light and colour to the old buildings. His work has proven so popular that the area is now a protected cultural area.
No, this isn’t Mary Poppins and yes, this is, in fact, a real experience. On the outskirts of Taipei in Beitou District, there’s an incinerator with a quite distinctive chimney. It looks more like a tower with a viewing deck at the summit than a chimney for a refuse incinerator, but it is actually both. It’s a short taxi ride from Shipai MRT station to the plant where visitors will find a simple elevator door with a small sign for the Moonstar 360 Restaurant. The elevator runs up the outside of the chimney and is an experience in itself, but for those faint of heart, there’s another one located inside the tower. The restaurant is an interesting spot with decent food and panoramic views of the city as it rotates 360 degrees. Yes, that’s right, this is a rotating restaurant at the top of a chimney and as far as out-there experiences go, this is certainly one of the oddest.
Take your chances at the Yanshui Beehive Fireworks Festival
Beehives and fireworks? It sounds like the worst combination imaginable, but don’t worry, there are no actual beehives or bees at this fireworks festival. That doesn’t make it any less intense, though.
The Yanshui Beehive Fireworks Festival is actually part of the lunar year’s lantern festival celebrations, but in the small district of Yanshui in Tainan, they don’t mess about with sky lanterns. Here, they instead illuminate the night sky with thousands of rockets launched from beehive-shaped structures. Sounds like fun until you realise that locals run between these beehives with the rockets firing in their direction.
It’s thought to welcome the god Guan Gong to the area and it’s a tradition that has taken place each year since the late 1800s. Fireproof clothing is highly recommended.
Sanzhi Pod Village, which many nicknamed “UFO Village”, received a lot of publicity several years ago. Unfortunately, that village was demolished, but few people realise that there is yet another group of these pods in Wanli District in Taipei. These holiday homes are actually called “Futuros” and interestingly, it is here in Wanli that you can find the world’s largest concentration of these one-time futuristic pod homes. They are left to decay and although it’s quite sad to see such unusual homes left to rot, it’s a very interesting place to visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.