While Taiwan may not have the reputation of more popular surfing destinations such as Hawaii and Bali, it’s fast gaining a name for itself as a great place to hit the waves. With waters that remain relatively warm throughout the year, Taiwan has great potential as a year-round surfing destination. But with the industry still in its infancy, finding a good place to surf can be a task in itself. With that in mind, here are some of the most popular and easily accessible surf spots in Taiwan. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Waiao Beach, Yilan
The black sands of Waiao Beach are only about an hour and thirty minutes by car from Taipei. Yes, that’s right, black sands. It’s pretty unusual, but here in Taiwan black sand beaches are quite common. Once a destination that not many knew about, Waiao Beach is now incredibly popular with surfers and beachgoers in Northern Taiwan.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
These days, there are events held on the once quiet beach, but if you head to the beach in winter, it’s likely that you and a couple of other hardy souls will have the waves to yourselves. The beach has a small surf community that visits regularly, and after your day on the water you can enjoy a few beers with them in the Rising Sun Surf Inn just off the beach.
Fulong Beach, New Taipei City
Famed as the best beach to visit just out of Taipei, Fulong is a day trip destination for thousands of beachgoers on summer weekends. The beach is also well known for its Sand Sculpting Festival and a few live music events, making it quite the busy place. For this reason, it perhaps doesn’t get the recognition it deserves as a good surfing spot.
There’s only one surf shop, though, and part of the beach is a paid area, so you’ll need to make sure to stay clear of that. However, if you can stomach the tourist masses on the trains and in the street, then Fulong isn’t a bad place for a quick trip out of the city.
Set in Kending in one of Taiwan’s most beautiful national parks, Jialeshui is one of the south’s most popular spots for surfers. It’s not the main beach that many of the area’s tourists and day trippers head for, so you’ll have less of a crowd there. The beach is quite rocky, and while it’s not bad for swimming, the lack of sand means that most tourists drive right by it.
The place is set up for surfers with plenty of hostels and surf shops just off the beach. On a typical busy day, you might find a dozen other surfers on the water, so it’s also a good spot to meet the locals and perhaps get a few tips on the area.
Taidong is one of Taiwan’s best kept secrets. It’s an incredibly scenic county with many coastal villages and towns. Even if you don’t surf, it’s well worth a visit, but for those that do, head for Donghe. The main surf spot is by an unassuming parking lot that you could easily drive by, and the beach is rocky and terrible on the feet. But locals and expats alike maintain that it’s one of the best spots in Taiwan for surfing.
While there are other spots nearby such as Jinzun Harbor, Dulan, and Secret Spot Reef, Donghe is the most consistent throughout the year and therefore the most popular. However, the great thing about this place is that you’ll only meet other surfers there.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.