For many generations, the Atayal, Taiwan’s second largest indigenous group, were the feared headhunters of the island. Thankfully, the tribe no longer partake in the practice. However, one tradition that they are trying to revive is the art of facial tattooing. Unfortunately, very few of the younger generation are eager to keep up the tradition even though it is a significant rite of passage.
Facial tattooing is one of the most important customs of the Atayal tribe, and it is said to date back some 1,400 years. Unlike in some other cultures where facial tattoos have negative connotations, the aboriginal people of Taiwan such as the Saisiyat, Seediq, and Truku view them as a means to differentiate between ethnicities and as an indicator of one’s place within the tribe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the past, this custom was an incredibly important moment in a tribe member’s life. Boys would earn their tattoos by proving their worth to the tribe in hunting and even headhunting. To be accepted as a man they must be tattooed between the ages of five and 15.
For women, the tasks were a little different but not all that unexpected. Weaving was and still is a vital skill for the many tribes of Taiwan and to earn her tattoos a young woman must prove her skills at the loom. This skill was deemed so important that a woman without facial tattoos was not allowed to marry.
The process was understandably quite painful as traditional inking methods were used with no medical treatment available. Some of the older generations described it as an experience that was worse than death itself. However, the pain was actually part of the ritual as it indicated that a man or woman was strong enough to endure anything that would come their way.
The designs themselves are rather interesting as, upon closer inspection, it’s apparent that the women’s tattoos are far more intricate than those of the men. These designs and whorls could take up to 10 hours to complete, and those that had more duties and responsibilities in the tribe would have the most intricate tattoos, indicating their place within the social hierarchy. It was also believed that if a woman died in the process of being tattooed, then she must have been promiscuous.
There are several theories and legends as to how the custom started but perhaps the most popular one is the story of the time when many young Atayal girls died inexplicably. This caused great concern within the tribe, but one young girl dreamed that a spirit or god spoke to her explaining that if she tattooed her face, she would not die. The tribe decided to follow her advice, and soon after, the unusual deaths stopped.
Whatever the true origins of this custom are, it’s apparent that in today’s modern world, the younger generation feels that they must turn their backs on this ancient tradition in order to work and live happily in Taiwan. However, members of the older generation are pushing hard to revive this custom but are having little success. Today there are very few men and women of the tribe with these intricate facial tattoos, and as the tribe dwindles in numbers and adapts to the modern age, it’s possible that the custom will die with the next generation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.