With its many national parks, Taiwan is full of incredible forest recreation areas. While Taichung is a quite a way from the nearest national park, residents are still spoiled for choice when it comes to forest escapes. For lush green countryside, waterfalls, and plenty of fresh mountain air, Shanlinxi is the perfect year-round wooded retreat within driving distance of the city.
Located near Xitou Forest Park and just under two hours’ drive from Taichung, Shanlinxi Forest is the least popular of the two forest recreation areas, and that’s a good thing. Xitou with its Monster Village draws in the family day trip crowd, and while it’s a great spot to visit, the masses of tourists can make a trip there a little much at times.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shanlinxi, on the other hand, gets far fewer visitors. Of course, there are still crowds on holidays and weekends, but it’s a much more relaxed and peaceful place.
The best way to get to Shanlinxi is by bus from Taichung. The 6883 bus from Taichung takes you directly to Xitou where you can mingle with the throngs of tourists there to visit the Monster Village. From there it’s another bus and a 45-minute ride to Shanlinxi. Interestingly on the road between the two forest areas, there are twelve switchbacks each named for one of the animals of the Chinese zodiac.
If you’re traveling by car, it’s an hour and forty-five minutes from Taichung City. Take Highway 3 to Chelungpu Fault Preservation Park (worth a quick visit) then follow the signs for Shanlinxi.
The weather and what to wear
Surrounded by mountain tea farms and at an altitude of around 1600 meters, temperatures here are certainly on the cooler side than you’ll be used to in the city. So it is best to dress for Autumn/Spring weather. If you’re planning to hike (or even just walk the paths) then, of course, you should bring the right shoes or boots. A trip to Shanlinxi, even if just for the day, is not one for flip flops.
Things to see and do
As soon as you arrive, you’ll see that there’s pretty much only one reason that people visit the area; the waterfalls. There are five major falls in total Qinglong, Songlong, Shyi-jing-ji, Yenyen, and Tian-Ti-Yen all of which are an easy walk from the main recreation area.
The paths are easily navigated with clear signage for each of the falls, and there’s not much climbing involved at all so it should pose no problems even for those a little less light on their feet.
Within the recreation area, there’s a shop and a few places to eat so you don’t need to worry about forgetting your water. There’s also a pagoda with a bell that visitors are encouraged to ring when they pass which is fun for the first time, but as the sound carries throughout the forest, it can get a little tedious hearing it.
Perhaps the most interesting place to visit here is Shuiyang Forest although it’s not an option for day trippers. It’s a four-hour hike, but the scenery and the opportunity to camp by the lakeside are well worth the effort.
Places to stay
Not many people stay overnight in Shanlinxi, but there is a hotel within the park area that boasts a range of rooms to suit most budgets. The Sun Link Sea Hotel (a strange variation of the forest’s Chinese name) has both western and Japanese style rooms and considering it’s the only place to stay, is quite affordable. The hotel is also well with walking distance of the five waterfalls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.