This beachside basecamp makes an alternative first stop beyond busy Colombo, with laid-back hotels that switch on holiday mode.
Negombo is a soft landing for Sri Lanka newbies, especially compared to the chaotic capital, Colombo. Its proximity to the airport and abundance of affordable hotels make it a popular pitstop for transiting travellers – but with a smattering of Buddhist temples, a fish market and a vast coastline, there’s enough going on to warrant an extra night or two here. Read on to find the right Negombo hotel for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You’re guaranteed an Indian Ocean view from your room at Heritance Negombo, which overlooks the golden sands of Negombo Beach Park. Despite its imposing scale, this Negombo beach hotel makes decent efforts to showcase and give back to the community: you can join a tour to watch fishermen haul in their catch (try the seafood platter at Blue Tan Restaurant to sample the day’s bounty later), and each year a portion of its profits goes towards supporting the education of local children.
From its motorbike-heavy artwork to its karaoke bar, Regal Reseau certainly has its quirks – but the main attraction here has got to be the rooftop infinity pool and bar, which can get quite lively in the evenings. More of an early bird? You’ll enjoy equally beautiful ocean views from the breakfast buffet at Celestia restaurant on the sixth floor.
With its in-water sun loungers, swim-up cocktail bar, pillow menus and private plunge pools (in the Premier Deluxe rooms), everything about Arie Lagoon invites you to indulge. There’s even a cigar and shisha lounge. This hotel in Negombo faces the calm emerald waters of Negombo Lagoon and is decidedly warm and homely, despite its reasonably large size.
Designed by renowned architect and godfather of tropical modernism, Geoffrey Bawa, Jetwing Lagoon brings the outdoors in with its high-ceiling spaces and semi open-air bathrooms. The property sits on the lagoon side of a slim peninsula, but there’s a small pool and sunbathing deck across the road if you’re after an ocean view. At 100m (328ft) long, the main pool is the longest on Sri Lanka’s west coast.
Prepare to be scrubbed, steamed and pampered to your heart’s content at Ayur Ayur, a bonafide Ayurveda retreat along the Hamilton Canal. Whether you’re here to beautify, detox or simply unplug, you’re sure to find a sense of tranquility at this Negombo resort. Brown’s Beach is just a short walk away – if you can tear yourself away from the pool, that is.
Like a cruise ship but way cooler, Pledge Scape is rocking a modern marine theme: think polished concrete, chrome, glass and brown leather, with the occasional well-placed porthole. The rooftop bar and infinity pool both overlook the beach, while floor-to-ceiling windows throughout the lounge areas ensure the ocean always steals the show. All ‘cabins’ have beach views and balconies come as standard.
Start the day at Terrace Green Hotel & Spa watching the Sri Lankan chefs cook your breakfast in the open kitchen. This luxurious hotel in Negombo offers private cooking classes, if you fancy learning how to make egg hoppers or kottu roti flatbreads like the pros. If that sounds like too much work, opt for a lime and ginger sea salt scrub or herbal steam bath at the rooftop spa instead.
The colourful textiles draped throughout Villa Hundira are handmade by women from Thalahena village – visit their workshop to watch them hone their craft, or pick up a souvenir to take home. You’re also welcome to borrow a canoe and go fishing – the hotel chef will be happy to cook up your catch. But don’t worry if you come home empty handed – you’ll still have a bounty of seafood and other delights at the restaurant to choose from.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.