Sri Lanka is the fourth largest tea producer in the world. Tea plantations were introduced to the teardrop island in 1867 by the British, who wanted to compete with China. Sri Lanka now produces some of the finest teas in the world, from single origins to mixed fruit blends. See the process in action with these top tea tours and guides in Sri Lanka.
A tailor-made, private and personal tour is the treatment Sammy Tours delivers. Combining local knowledge with flexibility, Sammy will accommodate small groups, from individual travellers up to a group of eight. As a guide, he will recommend some of the best places to go across the island and simultaneously cater for your personal wishes by allowing you to guide the path of his air-conditioned mini-bus and decide for yourself the places to visit. Included in his tours are trips to some of the oldest tea factories in Sri Lanka, with a walk through the fields followed, of course, by that all important cup of tea.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Providing visitors with specialized knowledge of Sri Lanka, Rickshaw Travel guides you through the best parts of the tea hills via car, train and jeep, allowing you to engage with the mesmerizing surroundings. This three-day tour provides an insight into the tea making history of Sri Lanka by visiting the old tea factories and exploring the process behind Ceylon tea. This is before a walk around Horton Plains National Park, one of the top national parks in Sri Lanka and an example of the natural beauty of Nuwara Eliya. An early start ensures you see the landscapes at their best, while a picnic breakfast in the World’s End gorge is a definite highlight.
Halpewatte Tea Factory
This day tour gives you a look into how the newer factories function. Halpewatte Tea Factory specialises in producing some of the finest single origin tea in Sri Lanka and has been doing so for the past 35 years. The factory stands as one of the largest tea factories in the region of Uva. They responsibly promote sustainability through their tea production, in addition to their engagement with tourism in the areas of Bandarawela and Ella. With knowledgeable staff, Halpewatte gives you a glance into the bustling and varied work of growing tea for the rest of the world to enjoy. You can now visit with Culture Trip as part of our specially curated small-group Sri Lanka tour.
Hundungoda Tea Estate
For those with a little less time, the Hundungoda Tea Estate gives you an opportunity to visit a tea plantation a little more quickly. During the tour you will be led by an experienced guide who will introduce you to the process of growing and harvesting, while providing in depth information about Sri Lankan tea culture. In addition to the tea tour, the estate is home to cinnamon plantations with luxury bungalow accommodation for those who care to stay longer. Luxury SUVs are available to those requiring a lift to the plantation and a tour will typically last around one hour. There’s also a golf course and a tea museum.
Boutique Sri Lanka
Offering a selection of suggested itineraries, Boutique Sri Lanka provides bespoke tours for visitors who want to pick and choose the highlights of the trip. They present a comprehensive range of itineraries, from plantation trails to colonial tea tours, unfolding the history of tea production in Sri Lanka. They will also assist you with booking flights and organising a driver for your trip.
Sri Lanka ‘Tea Trails’ Tour
The five-day Tea Trails tour combines Sri Lankan culture and nature. As soon as you arrive, your chauffeur and guide will be on hand to answer any questions before taking you to Kandy, with a detour to the elephant orphanage in Pinnawela, home to 80 elephants. While in Kandy, take the chance to watch a cultural dance performance. You’ll then be whisked off to Nuwara Eliya, where the cool climate provides the perfect environment for tea growing.
Bluefield Tea Gardens
For an in-depth day exploring the Sri Lankan tea-making process, head to Bluefield Tea Gardens. Bluefield offer personalised tours through their farm, providing in-depth guides and descriptions of all the stages behind tea production. The Tea Center in Nuwara Eliya is also a good place to purchase some of the best quality teas from the region, while the beautiful property also has a restaurant and cafe at the front. If you’re travelling with kids, there’s a children’s play area.
Green Holiday Travels
Since 2011, Green Holiday Travels has been organising professionally planned tours for visitors to Sri Lanka. Keen to introduce tourists to the rich culture of the country without negatively impacting on its nature and heritage, they are forward thinkers in sustainable tourism for the island. Their six-day Hills and Tea Plantations tour will guide you through all the hot spots of the country’s tea production, while also stopping at cinnamon gardens in Colombo, the Dutch Church of Wolfendhal and the captivating landscape of Kitulgala.
For those serious about tea, Heritage provide flexible week-long trips with their Tea Educational Tours. The tour takes you to a number of interesting places such as the Colombo Tea Auctions. These auctions, which have been running since 1883, take place twice weekly within the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce. Here you will see 700 factories trading and buying and you will also witness the largest single origin tea auction in the world. Visits to all the major tea centers such as Giragama, Balangoda, Mlesna and Dilmah are included, as well as a look at the Hantana Tea Museum. The final day is one of rest; the relaxation method is your choice, whether it be seaside or poolside.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.