Korea is a shopaholic’s dream. Whether your weakness is skincare, cosmetics, fashion, homewares or houseplants, you’re sure to find everything your heart desires in one of the country’s many shops.
In Busan, you’re best to head to shopping hotspots such as the downtown areas of Seomyeon or Nampo-dong — but if you’re pressed for time, it’s good to have a plan. Here are the best stores in the city, so you can shop ’til you drop with maximum efficiency.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Grapefruit Moon is a small independent fashion store at the heart of Seomyeon’s youthful fashion neighbourhood. Its wares are much like many of the other shops in this district–street style with a K-pop twist for men and women–but if you only have time to go to one trendy shop in Seomyeon, this one should be it. It’s always bang up-to-date with trends, and blasting party music gives the store a fun atmosphere.
Measuring over 125,000 square meters, it might be pushing it to describe Shinsegae Centum City as just a shop. The complex includes an enormous spa, a golf course, an ice rink and a multiplex cinema. It’s the largest department store in the world, as certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, and an unmissable stop on any tourist’s itinerary. It’s a great place to stock up on high-end Korean skincare brands, cute and inexpensive jewelry, or go all out and blow your holiday budget on stylish clothes.
Daiso isn’t independent, under-the-radar (at least for Koreans), or even Korean – it’s a Japanese chain. It is, however, hands-down the cheapest place to stock up on skincare and beauty products, all of which are Korean-made and surprisingly good quality. Many of the sheet masks retail at a mere 500 won (approximately US$0.45) and come in a variety of scents. It’s also worth popping in for things like nail stickers and seasonal makeup ranges. Some of these make great gifts, for example cutely-packaged, cherry blossom-themed cosmetics which are available in the spring. While you’re there, take a look at the homeware and stationery sections for a sense of what Koreans spend their money on.
Busan fish cakes (also known as eomuk) are famous throughout Korea for their good-quality ingredients and fresh taste. Go direct to the source at Samjin Fish Cake Bakery, the oldest fish cake producer in the city. At the bakery and attached museum, you can learn about the history of Busan’s most-exported delicacy, sample freshly-made fish cakes, and even learn how to make your own fish cakes at one of their regular workshops. Check the website for details, but you might need to enlist the services of a Korean-speaking friend.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.