Immortalised in the hit song by Korean rapper Psy, Gangnam is Seoul’s most exclusive district. Although it’s not quite as central as areas like Hongdae and Myeongdong, on the other side of the Han River, it’s popular with visitors thanks to the high chances of K-pop celebrity sightings, a glitzy nightlife scene and stylish shopping outlets. Here’s a selection of the best hotels in Gangnam.
If you’re looking to live it up Gangnam-style like a true Korean, this is the place to stay. Lotte is a multinational Korean conglomerate that you can’t miss if you spend any time in the country; from giant amusement parks to cosy café chains and iconic confectionery, Lotte does it all. L7 Gangnam is one of the newest locations in the L7 hotel brand, and offers four-star accommodation that is modern and well-designed. A particularly nice feature is the terrace-level ‘Floating Bar’.
Gangnam Artnouveau City is five minutes’ walk from Gangnam metro station, making it convenient for sightseeing and travel. Its large rooms are furnished in a plush, European-inspired Art Nouveau style; if you’ve ever seen one of those K-pop videos where they channel Victorian-era vintage, that’s the vibe Artnouveau City gives off. Rooms come equipped with a well-furnished kitchenette and washing machines. The hotel has a rooftop garden with good views out over Seoul. Its small ground-level restaurant, Bella, serves excellent pizza.
Hotel Newv opened in June 2018, making it one of the more recent additions to the Gangnam hotel world, but it’s already becoming established as a great place to stay. It’s furnished in a sleek, contemporary style, and lots of attention has been paid to design (the elegant bathtubs are an especially nice feature). As well as a fitness centre, wellness facilities include yoga classes and a sauna. All rooms are equipped with complimentary smartphones for use during your stay.
Cheongdam Guesthouse is a hostel rather than a hotel; it has no room service, and facilities are fairly basic. It’s included in this list, however, because it’s a fabulous option for budget travellers and female friends (note that the accommodation is women-only). Rooms are airy and beautifully designed, with lots of Scandi-style wood flooring and floral accents. It’s very centrally located, and right next to a number of entertainment agencies, meaning that many of its guests are K-pop fans. The staff are friendly and helpful, and go out of their way to make visitors feel comfortable and welcome.
Surprisingly affordable given its swish, sophisticated design, Hotel Soulhada is a three-star boutique hotel close to the COEX Convention and Exhibition Centre. Rooms are elegantly decorated in a neutral, faintly masculine colour palette, and are equipped with irons (not always a given in hotels in this area, despite its status as a business district). Staff are friendly, and there’s a small rooftop terrace.
Opened in 2014, Aloft Seoul Gangnam is a funky, modern four-star hotel. It’s close to the river, and a number of rooms have riverside views. Although it’s geared more towards business than leisure travellers, it has a number of useful amenities including a coin laundry, 24-hour gym, and a roof terrace. It’s also dog-friendly.
Finally, we would be remiss to ignore Gangnam’s many five-star hotel offerings. The nicest of these is the Park Hyatt, which has an indoor infinity pool, range of spa services, and a vinyl music bar. Floor-to-ceiling windows provide great views overlooking the city.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Seoul and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.