In 2015, South Korea exported $2.7 billion worth of skincare products worldwide. That is no wonder considering the nation’s high-quality and innovative makeup and skincare industry. Whether it’s BB creams, sheet masks or face peelings – South Korea has done them first. That’s why we have looked into the top 10 South Korean beauty hacks you need in your life.
Already a major hit in the Western world, sheet masks have been a skincare essential for years in South Korea. Every skincare store sells them in bulk and they are available for all skin types. Korean models at the Seoul Fashion Week swear by these hydrating wonders in a bag and use them as often as they can to moisturize and brighten their skin. The most sought-after mask sheets include the mugwort mask from Aritaum, Klavuu’s enriched pearl serum mask and the Laneige Water Bank Double Gel Soothing Mask.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Overnight Sleeping Mask
The second phase of a Korean skincare routine includes overnight sleeping masks. They’re extremely easy to use and super effective. Throw them on in the evening, sleep and wake up with radiant skin in the morning. Especially in the colder months, it is essential to hydrate your skin. If you, too, are looking for amazing skin overnight, check out the AmorePacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Recovery Masque and the Too Cool for School Egg Mellow Cream.
Volcanic Clay Mask
Once a week, Koreans like to relax while enjoying a wonderful volcanic clay mask. First introduced my Innisfree, this effective mask is a 6-in-1 pore treatment and contains 6,020mg of volcanic clay from Jeju Island. Use it to exfoliate dead skin cells, tighten pores, deep cleanse and even out your skin tone.
Swear by Ginseng
Ginseng is known to have anti-aging properties and has been used in Korean skin care for quite some time. Koreans swear by the ancient root as it is also deeply integrated into local cuisine and tea culture. Ginseng is used to detox as it contains a lot of antioxidants. Try out the ginseng line from Korean skincare brand Sulwhasoo and you will know what it is all about.
This rule does not regard dropping food on the ground but is rather a rule of thumb when applying skincare products in South Korea. Korean researchers have found that it is best to apply toner within 10 seconds of taking a shower. At the same time, this also goes for a moisturizer. The reason behind this theory is that after cleansing and/or after taking a shower, the pores are open and mor receptive to products.
South Koreans know that cleansing your face is probably the most important step of every skincare routine. It is recommended to double cleanse, especially when wearing makeup, to completely get rid of all the junk that blocks our pores. The first step is to use an oil-based cleanser to get rid of all the makeup. Then, wash your face again with a foam or soap to deeply clean your pores and remove any residue.
Korean’s emphasis on skincare is not a recent phenomenon but rather an old tradition. Even in the old days, Koreans had various beauty hacks they incorporated in their daily lives – no matter what rank they had in society. Still today, it is common to use rice water to wash your face because of the many benefits. However, you don’t have to cook up your own rice but can simply purchase various products, such as Primera’s black rice emulsion or Inisfree’s rice sleeping mask pod to get the same anti-aging and moisturizing effects.
It’s known that circulation is a great way to keep skin healthy. That’s why Koreans like to apply their products with circular motions and light massages. This goes even further as to skin clinics offering budget facial massages at every corner in South Korean cities. However, you don’t have to leave your house to get the benefits, simply focus on certain pressure points, such as the sides of the temples, when applying your skincare products.
Skip the Towel
You might be surprised how many bacteria are hiding in your towels. Even after washing and drying them. Harsh chemicals in detergents also harm our skin. That’s why it is actually best to simply air dry your face after cleansing and then applying toner before it dries completely. Try it and you’ll feel the difference.
Hang up your Towels
Towels seem to have an important role in Korean beauty hacks as proves this last hack. Especially in the winter months, it is important to keep your skin hydrated and prevent dry air in your room. That’s where our damp towels come in handy. After taking a shower and (air) drying your face, take your wet towels with you and use them as a simple humidifier at night. Many Koreans even hang wet towels around their bed in order to get better sleep in the winter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.