Manila, the capital of the Philippines, is a vibrant place. At times, however, it can be nerve-frazzling – so finding a homey, comfortable base is all the more important. Thankfully, Manila is home to a wide selection of long-stay options, ranging from hotel-like apartments to suburban homes. Book your stay at one of the best with Culture Trip.
Shift effortlessly into local life at this trendy one-bedroom serviced apartment in Taguig, blessed with high-rise views and floods of natural light. A picnic bench-style dining table, exposed brick-effect wallpaper and potted plants add an element of organic outdoorsiness, and if the real outdoors is calling you, make the most of having access to a large communal pool. For evenings inside, a Netflix-equipped flatscreen TV and a sink-in sofa should help you kick back.
Sucker for a bit of vintage style? Then you’ll love this loft-like Philippine vacation home, decorated with quirky travel-themed touches such as vintage travel chests, framed 1960s advertisements and retro light fittings. The elegant mid-century furniture is trendy, while sticking with the theme, and the mezzanine-level bedroom is cosy and calming, with a striking wooden headboard. Whip up your own meals in the modern kitchen, or it’s only a two-minute walk to the nearby shopping centre food court.
For a snug stay in Manila, consider Jen’s Comfy Home. The studio-type rooms bring together a kitchenette – which comes equipped with thoughtful features such as a large refrigerator and rice cooker – a dining area and a bedroom, the latter separated from the rest of the apartment by a clear glass sliding door. A balcony provides access to fresh air while a location just south of the airport makes this an easy choice for those in transit.
Whether you go for either the one-bedroom studio or slightly more spacious one-bedroom condo here, cosy, homely vibes are guaranteed. The apartments are outfitted with just about everything you’d need, including well-equipped kitchenettes. There’s a decent-sized shared pool, but since you’re within a stone’s throw of a host of shops, restaurants and entertainment venues, you’re likely to be out more than in.
If where you’re sleeping is just as important as your location, the two luxurious suites here, located in buzzy Quezon City, tick both boxes with aplomb. Depending on how many you need to treat, pick either the one- or two-bedroom option, and drink in the penthouse-like vibes. Handsome furniture in tones of cream and brown, thoughtful high-end touches such as Egyptian sheets, rain showers and access to an in-house spa make this a must-book for pamper-happy travellers.
Get an authentic taste of suburban Filipino living in this homely townhouse, located just outside Manila’s central zone. The two-storey home links three bedrooms, which can accommodate up to seven guests, in a quiet, residential-feeling location at the northern edge of Quezon City. A spacious kitchen, balconies, and living room will give your group room to spread out, while all the mod-cons – including a washing machine – mean you can truly make yourself at home here.
It’d be easy to forget you’re in Manila at Shir Hub at Azure Urban Residences. Located southeast of the city, overlooking Laguna Lake, the vibe here is more resort than residence. The one-bedroom flats, with beds separated by a sliding glass door, offer lots of natural light, and come appointed with a balcony and kitchenette. The expansive, lagoon-like swimming pool, equipped with its own beach, makes this a sensible choice for those traveling with kids.
This gorgeous corner-unit studio within lively Makati City boasts a long stretch of floor-to-ceiling windows, giving the apartment not only plenty of natural light, but also a jaw-dropping panorama of the Metro. It’s tastefully designed with indoor plants, lots of natural light, wooden accents and a minimalist touch. You’ll have a beautifully-lit view of the Makati skyline at night.
An instant charmer, this large colonial-style house in Manila’s Paco district is adorned with beautiful antique furniture and vintage ornaments. The entire home, from the rooms to the shared spaces, remove guests from the busy streets of Manila and takes them to a different era. Neighbouring the guestroom is a covered patio, giving visitors a peaceful place to work or have their morning coffee. This screened space further opens up to the garden’s west wing, which houses a seating area among the trees for some quality quiet time.
Katrina Escalona contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.