Of all the destinations currently available through our computer screens, one has emerged as the darling of the aspirational travel set – the Philippines. Vloggers in Siargao, Banaue, Bicol and Palawan draw thousands of viewers every week, who tune in to see trails winding past 2,000-year-old rice terraces, barrel-like waves crashing on powdery beaches and waterfalls tumbling into sapphire pools. For captivating natural beauty and white-knuckle adventure, there’s nowhere better.
Hit the surf in Siargao
Siargao’s year-round waves attract adrenaline junkies of all levels for kitesurfing, paddleboarding and days-long surf schools. More cerebral adventurers will appreciate the homegrown coffee, as well as lessons in basket-weaving and Filipino cooking. Alternatively, jump on a motorcycle for a self-guided tour. There’s much to explore – from coconut palms encircling mangrove forests to rice paddies dotted with small villages. Finish with a trip to Tayangban cave pool, where you can swim through a cave aided only by torchlight, and emerge into an open pool, where you can cliff-jump from 7m (23ft). In the evening, head to Cev for Peruvian ceviche and its Filipino cousin, kinilaw – or to La Carinderia for negronis made from the marble-sized calamansi fruit endemic to the Philippines. Compensate for a night of overindulgence with a mango smoothie bowl at Shaka, overlooking the legendary Cloud 9 surf spot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Step into Philippine history in Banaue
More than 2,000 years ago, the Ifugao people created the rice terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras, which would later be described by Unesco as “a living cultural landscape of unparalleled beauty”. Using basic tools, they carved a 4,000sqmi (10,360sqkm) network of stepped rice terraces into the mountains with a total length of 12,500mi (20,117km), or roughly half the circumference of earth. Today, this World Heritage Site is the Philippines’ biggest tourist draw. Evade the crowds by taking a multiday hike via Cambulo and Pula – remote villages where you’ll experience genuine Philippine hospitality. Pick up an English-speaking guide in Banaue, who will show you the safest path, pit stops for fuelling up with coffee and rice bowls, and places to spend the night. Drop by the Ibulao Bed and Breakfast to savour the taste of a home-cooked menu using traditional local ingredients. The place itself is an interesting work of art by physician owners Drs Roberto and Tess Kalugdan. On your return to Banaue, don’t miss dinner at Hagabi, whose owners, Ifugao natives Moises and Marissa Chog-ap, specialise in traditional cuisine such as Hagabi rice – tender marinated chicken with jasmine rice – and creamy vegetable and coconut curry.
Get your adrenaline fix in Bicol
Known worldwide as the filming location for the US television show Survivor, this archipelago packs every adventure imaginable into the 4,660sqmi (12,069sqkm) it covers. Head straight to Caramoan Island to live out your Survivor fantasies – clamber up vertiginous limestone cliffs, learn to weave palm fronds or hack open a coconut with a machete. If you prefer a more modern take on adventure, fire up an ATV for a rip-roaring ride across the black lava fields of Mayon Volcano, the postcard-perfect cone that looms over the city of Legazpi. For cable watersports, head to the Camarines Sur (CamSur) WaterSports Complex for a 15acre (6ha) obstacle course that will challenge wakeboarders and waterskiers of all abilities. Bicol also offers peerless diving and snorkelling experiences. The Manta Bowl, accessible from Ticao Island, is where divers come to swim with manta rays, whale sharks, thresher sharks and even the occasional hammerhead or tiger shark. In Donsol, you don’t even need scuba gear to swim with whale sharks – these remarkable creatures come close enough to the surface that a snorkel is all you need. Don’t leave Bicol without trying Bicol Express, a coconut-rich stew with sautéed shrimp. Unusually for Filipino food, it’s extremely spicy.
Explore Japanese wrecks and limestone karsts in Palawan
Once relatively unknown, Palawan is now tipped to snatch Halong Bay’s crown for most Instagrammable limestone karsts. Head up to Coron Town and jump on a bamboo-rigged bangka boat to see them – or even climb them – for yourself. But it’s what’s under the water that will truly amaze. In 1944, at the height of World War II, Coron Bay was the site of a devastating US Air Force attack, which destroyed 12 Japanese ships. These now form a captivating dive site, not just for the colossal wrecks but for the host of corals, fish and sea turtles that call them home. Between dives, fill up on seafood such as grilled samaral fish, milky kibao clams and tanigue – Spanish mackerel – with garlic and calamansi. Tranquil Port Barton is another up-and-comer on Palawan’s travel radar, for laid-back kayaking and snorkelling from one flawless palm-fringed beach to another. It’s a refreshing change of pace after an adventure-filled itinerary – grab a freshly grilled squid and let time slow down.
For more destination info and safe travel updates, visit itsmorefuninthephilippines.co.uk
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.