Despite its pristine waters and incredibly fine white-sand shores, Boracay is in danger of losing its charm if the public will continue to neglect its present environmental issues. As the Philippines finds ways to clean and save Boracay (they might even close it to tourists), here are 11 beaches which look just as amazing as the world-class island:
In recent years, El Nido has become a popular tourist destination when visiting the island of Palawan down South. Its jagged limestone landscapes, crystal clear waters, and immaculate beaches instantly catch one’s attention. Apart from enjoying the view and surrounding yourself with the bright blue waters on its beaches, you can go island-hopping, visit the hidden beaches, or go snorkeling. If you’d like to get a glimpse of the amazing sunset in the area, head over to the beachfronts of Nacpan, Las Cabañas, and Marimegmeg.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Only a ferry ride away from the Queen City of the South, Panglao, Bohol Island is considered a top beach destination within reach of Cebu. Connected to the mainland home of the famous Chocolate Hills, Panglao has beautiful white-sand beaches, stunning coral reefs, and world-class diving spots for beach lovers. Its clean waters are also said to be ‘better than Boracay,’ according to the Philippines‘ Environmental Secretary Roy Cimatu. The most well-known beach in the area is Alona Beach, as tourists fall for its long stretch of powdery-white sand, tourist-friendly activities, and get a chance to witness the best sunset on the island.
When you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of urban life in Cebu City, head over to the peaceful island of Bantayan situated on the province’s Northern tip. Made up of three municipalities, namely Bantayan, Madridejos and Santa Fe, Bantayan is known for its fantastic sunset view and colonial churches whereas Madridejos is a fishing village. Among the three, the municipality of Santa Fe welcomes guests with its shimmering azure waters and white-sand beaches. Apart from enjoying the island’s sea paradise, it would definitely be hard to resist exploring the mangrove gardens, cave pools, and lively underwater environment.
Planning a trip up north anytime soon? The beaches of Pagudpud are an attraction not to be missed on any traveler’s bucket list. Apart from the area being one of the best spots for surfing in the Philippines, its white-sand beaches and crystal waters would remind you of Boracay. And, unlike the crowded Boracay, this coastal resort town on the northernmost tip of Luzon is more tranquil because there’s minimal tourist development. Of course, there’s a lot you can do aside from swimming or surfing. There are areas perfect for jump-off points and other touristy attractions to visit, such as the Kapurpurawan Rock Formations, Bangui windmills, Burgos Lighthouse, and Patapat Viaduct.
Within the rural town of Sta. Ana in Cagayan lies a remote yet mystique island of Palaui. While it’s often an overlooked paradise in the northeastern tip of Luzon, it’s definitely a must-visit island given that it’s truly unspoiled – hotels and resorts are nowhere in sight and the only option is to go camping. Thus, Palaui gives travelers the chance to reconnect with nature while enjoying the simple life. The scenic views of its undisturbed greens, white sandy beaches, and cool waters for swimming indeed make the trip worth it.
If you love the beauty of Boracay yet are hoping for an island that is serene, less crowded and still well-preserved, then there’s no doubt you’ll fall in love with the islands of Caramoan. Sounds familiar? The islands became popular after it served as home to the contestants of the reality show ‘Survivor’ in 2012. Located on the southern end of Camarines Sur in the Bicol region, its group of beautifully unexploited islands and islets within the Pacific Ocean leave one in awe. Its fine white-sand beaches, limestone cliffs, lagoons, and rich marine life promise a perfect tropical adventure on the island!
Next to neighboring province Camarines Sur, there lies Camarines Norte. And, one can definitely say that Bicolandia is blessed with hidden gems – unspoiled wonders of paradise are also found on the islands of Calaguas. Almost a two-hour boat ride away from the mainland, powdery-white sand beaches and pristine waters welcome guests, immediately introducing them to a relaxing ambience. While Calaguas is becoming a favorite among beach adventurers and the once quiet coastline is now full of life, its locals are all for protecting and safeguarding the natural paradise. If you’re planning to go there soon, don’t forget to visit the Halabang Baybay/Mahabang Buhangin (Long Beach)!
For the perfect beach vacation, one definitely looks forward to the fine, white-sand shores, crystal clear waters, and a refreshing environment. Negros Oriental’s Apo Island has more than that and it offers the best snorkeling and scuba diving sites in the Philippines. That’s because it has a protected marine sanctuary and if you take a chance to plunge into the waters, you’ll see the rich, colorful marine life and brimming coral reefs with over 600 species of fish underneath. Plus, get a chance to experience swimming with the sea turtles and it’ll definitely be the highlight of your Apo Island adventure!
If the island groups of Luzon and Visayas take pride in some of their unspoiled, beautiful beaches, the majestic Mindanao has its own fair share of admirable natural wonders. Located in the northern tip of Mindanao, this pear-shaped volcanic island is home to a beautiful sandbar that you can refer to as uninhabited or naked. That’s because there’s no man-made structure nor trees found within Medan Island, which is also known as White Island. If you’re not visiting Boracay’s White Beach, maybe you should consider heading to Camiguin’s White Island instead! Apart from its powdery white sand and crystal clear waters, there are a lot of activities to do – go hiking, discover a marine treasure, or chase waterfalls!
Another island in Mindanao that’s teeming with vacationers and sun worshippers, especially during the summer season, is the Island Garden City of Samal. Situated right at the middle of Davao Gulf, Samal has been blessed with pristine white-sand beaches, marine wonders, and wildlife attractions. Resorts on the island range from budget-friendly ones to pricey, exclusive ones. And while there are areas where Internet signal is quite poor, you won’t mind because this so-called ‘little paradise on earth’ will surely give you a much needed detox from life’s complexities and let you have a fun, relaxing getaway!
Of course, the list won’t be complete without including the teardrop-shaped island of Siargao. Because of its strategic location along the country’s eastern coast facing the Pacific Ocean, the island gets solid swells that surfers definitely enjoy. Hence, it earned the title as the ‘Surfing Capital of the Philippines.’ Its gorgeous beaches, aquamarine lagoons, lush mangroves and the famous surf spot called Cloud 9 continue to lure in travelers to explore what the island has to offer. Away from the surf spots of General Luna, you don’t want to miss out on visiting the surrounding scattered islets which are as beautiful as the main island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.