In life, there will always be scenarios that will make one feel inferior, demotivated, or hopeless. But, looking at these 10 Filipino women, who took a different path and achieved success in their chosen fields, makes one believe that nothing is impossible if you put your heart into it. These women continue to inspire others to be proud of who they are and not limit themselves on what they can do.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This Filipino weightlifter from Zamboanga City rose to fame after winning a silver Olympic medal in the 53-kg division of the women’s weightlifting event during the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, ending the 20-year Olympic medal drought of the Philippines. An Olympian since 2008 who has won medals in the Southeast Asian Games and Asian Games, she is now eyeing her first Olympic gold medal at the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Dr. Mikaela Fudolig
Dr. Mikaela Fudolig is a UP (University of the Philippines) “whiz kid” who finished her undergraduate degree in physics at the young age of 16 years old. She is the youngest of those who graduated Summa Cum Laude from the prestigious university, having a general weighted average of 1.099. In 2014, she completed her doctorate degree and just last year, she passed the University of the Philippines College of Law Entrance Examination.
Dr. Erika Fille Legara
Dr. Erika Fille Legara holds an undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate degree in physics from the University of the Philippines. She was based in Singapore as a physicist, working for the government’s Agency for Science, Technology, and Research on data-driven urban systems, but she has decided to come home. That’s because the Asian Institute of Management opened its doors for the first formal Data Science program, dubbed as the “sexiest job in the world,” with Dr. Legara as its academic program director.
Filipinos know her as a TV host and actress who’s also a full-time mom to an adorable trio: Kendra, Scarlett, and Gavin. Married to Filipino basketball player Doug Kramer, their family, known as Team Kramer,became popular endorsers and one of the most followed groups on social media. Aside from attending to her family, Cheska finds time to work on a joint passion project through a series of workshops that aim to empower mothers.
Ginger Arboleda is currently the general manager of Manila Workshops and chief operating officer at Taxumo, a web-based tax compliance app that helps small-medium businesses and freelancers compute and pay their taxes. As stated in her bio, she used to be a banker but decided to quit the corporate world and focus on being a mom/wife, a blogger, and an entrepreneur/business coach.
Reese Fernandez-Ruiz is known for successfully combining fashion, sustainable development, and social enterprise. As the woman behind Rags2Riches, a fashion and design house which empowers local artisans from a big dump site in Payatas City by helping them turn scraps of cloth and organic fabrics into wonderfully-made rugs, it’s no surprise that Reese appeared on Forbes’ list of social entrepreneurs under 30 in 2015. Rags2Riches is one of the social enterprises in the Philippines that gained success, having a consistent annual growth in the company’s first 5 years.
Online news site Rappler might be a startup, but when it comes to innovative journalism, this independent social news organization is making its mark on the industry. Its founder Maria Ressa has almost two decades of experience at CNN and was formerly the head of the news and current affairs department for the Philippines’ big media conglomerate ABS-CBN. Apart from being a source of local and global news, Rappler’s big boss also ensures that their organization leverages on technology and serves as a platform for civic engagement.
Armie Jarin-Bennett is currently the president of CNN Philippines, which she considers a demanding job, yet something that she loves and that makes her feel fulfilled. She started as a production assistant at CNN’s headquarters in Georgia in 1997, and from then on, she took on other positions such as becoming a floor director, teleprompter operator, video journalist, and writer, before becoming an executive producer. She is living proof that hard work eventually leads to success.
Having filled a senatorial seat in the Philippines for two terms, former Senator Pia Cayetano was known for her works in support of women and children, such as the Magna Carta of Women (Republic Act No. 9710), Expanded Breastfeeding Promotion Act (RA 10028), and the Mandatory Infants and Children Health Immunization Act (RA10152), to name a few. Now a congresswoman of the second district of Taguig City, this lawyer-entrepreneur is also a supporter of Bike for Hope, which raises environmental awareness and promotes a healthy lifestyle among Filipinos.
In September 2016, the Philippines mourned, as it had lost a great leader. The former senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago passed away after a long battle with lung cancer. Having served as a senator for three years, Miriam won the hearts of Filipinos for her undeniable wit, courage, and powerful speeches and one-liners (found in her famous book). In her remaining months, she showed how she could bravely face cancer when she ran for the 2016 Philippine Presidency. The Filipinos might have lost her, but this political leader’s legacy will live on.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.