Imagine standing in the middle of a mountain-side forest as the mist slowly descends in the cool air. Add tea plantations, biodiversity and waterfalls – welcome to Cameron Highlands. And here’s how to spend 48 hours for hiking, culture and tea.
Cameron Highlands offers countless hiking trails, tea plantations and Malaysia’s first memorabilia museum. The colder climate and pollution-free air creates a major tourist hub. Culture Trip explains how to spend 48 hours in Cameron Highlands for hiking, high-tea and the best restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Morning: A trip to BOH Tea Plantation
Most hotels in Cameron Highlands are near either Brinchang or Tanah Rata. Start the first part of your 48 hours in Cameron Highlands with a strawberry pancake at Yong Teng Café. Take a 20-minute taxi ride to the nationwide-famous BOH Tea Plantation. Rolling green vistas and orderly terraces greet visitors inside this 8,000-acre estate. Stroll through the fields, take a factory tour and drink a fresh cuppa in their Tea Room.
Pro tip: Arrive early to beat the noise and chaos of the late morning crowds.
Afternoon: An easy hike to Parit Waterfall
Get a taxi or the shuttle bus back to Tanah Rata for a light trek to Parit Waterfall. A boardwalk leads along the murky river towards the gentle roar of the cascades. Use the path directly behind Century Pines Resort, which takes approximately 20 minutes to reach the waterfall. Pack some snacks and have brunch in this serene location near Tanah Rata.
Pro tip: Grab a roti canai to go in Tanah Rata and snack on it at Parit Waterfalls.
Evening: Explore Brinchang and the Time Museum
From Tanah Rata, make your way to Brichang town (take a taxi or the shuttle bus). Culture Trip recommends resting your feet at Mr Aisu. The dessert shop serves dozens of sweet treats including more than 20 flavours of ice cream. After a drink and snack, explore the town. First, walk up the hill to the Buddhist Sam Poh Temple. Check out both Kayangan Brinchang Mosque and Sri Tehndayuthapany Swamy Hindu Temple too.
Walk northwards along the main road to Malaysia’s first memorabilia museum: Time Tunnel. Eight galleries with more than 4,000 relics make up the displays, which range from an old-fashion barbershop to descriptions of Malaysia’s aboriginals (Orang Asli).
Pro tip: Take the time to read about Malaysia’s Orang Asli indigenous peoples, many of whom work in the tea plantations.
Night: Dinner at one of Cameron Highland’s oldest restaurants
The invitingly named You-Hoo Restaurant in Brinchang has catered to tourists for more than three decades. With a mid-range price range, customers can order a variety of Chinese-inspired dishes, steamboat and bottled beer. Culture Trip recommends ordering the hotplate tofu and curry fish.
Pro tip: The restaurant gets busy and it’s a good idea to make a reservation.
Morning: Climb Cameron Highland’s tallest peak
The second morning of our 48 hours in Cameron Highlands itinerary involves a trip up Brinchang Mountain. Standing at 2,032 metres (6,667 feet), it’s Cameron Highland’s tallest peak. Trail one (moderate difficulty) leads from Brinchang town to the summit taking approximately two hours. Hikers can look forward to passing through thick vegetation and moss-covered trees. But finding the start can be a challenge in itself. Follow the main road from the town approximately 300 metres (984 feet) north and make a left. Continue for 10 minutes to Mama Mountain Cottage. Trail one starts near here.
Pro tip: Bring packed lunch and have a picnic at Brinchang Mountain’s observation deck.
Afternoon: Hike in the spooky Mossy Forest
After reaching the summit, follow trail 14 through the 200,000-year-old Mossy Forest. A two-kilometre (1.2 miles) boardwalk penetrates this eerie mist-filled woods. Thick green moss, creepy-looking ferns and descending mist create the sense of being in a horror film. But persevere and find yourself in an environment found nowhere else in Malaysia. Keep your eyes open for orchids and the bell-shaped carnivorous pitcher plants. Expect to spend four hours on the trails. If money isn’t an issue, hire a guide. The experts can point out and explain the plants and animals in the forest.
Pro tip: Adverse weather (heavy rain and mudslides) can close trails overnight. Double check before planning an epic day of hiking.
Evening: Malaysian hotpot in the cooler mountain air
Malaysian hotpot (known as steamboat) consists of a flavoured soup with slices of meat, vegetable and tofu. When the broth boils, pour the sides into the soup. This is a Malaysian favourite made even better in the refreshing evening air. Culture Trip recommends OK Tuck in Brinchang, which serves two or three people for RM50 ($12.20 USD).
Pro tip: Vegetarians can dine at Cameron Organic Produce Steamboat. This restaurant uses organic vegetables picked from their gardens offering pure vegetarian broths.
Night: A tipple at an English-style country pub
And to finish off your 48 hours in Cameron Highlands, head for a drink at Smokehouse Hotel. The hotel bar exudes the flair of an English-style Tudor bungalow with a wooden fireplace, antiques and leather sofas. Despite the relatively high prices, it’s a favourite spot for an evening drink. Order a pint of draft beer or a gin and tonic and let your mind wander back to life in British Malaya.
Pro tip: Despite Smokehouse Hotel’s location near OK Tuck, it’s advisable to take a taxi. Dark streets lacking adequate street lighting can make walking dangerous.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.