Whether you’re in the cooler highlands for a retreat or hiking, you’ll need to know where to eat. Culture Trip reveals our favourite 10 restaurants in Cameron Highlands for steamboat, vegetarian food and homemade ice cream.
The central highlands offer respite from Malaysia’s suffocating heat and humidity. Crisp mountain air combines with lush green surroundings. Culture Trip rounds up the best restaurants in Cameron Highlands for steamy steamboats, cheap Chinese and Western-Indian fusions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As part of the five-star Cameron Highlands Resort, The Dining Room promises class. Breakfast spreads, including dozens of Western and Asian dishes (think pancakes, fruits and eggs), feed hungry guests. Sit in the English-style dining hall and watch the clouds form over the green mountain tops. Return for an evening of romance with an al-fresco candlelit dinner (recommend smoked duck) on their outdoor terrace. Formal dress codes apply (shirt and trousers for men and smart casual for women) at one of the most exclusive restaurants in Cameron Highlands.
Unlike other parts of Malaysia, Cameron Highlands lacks a thriving Kopitiam culture. An elderly Chinese couple runs this Malaysian-style coffee shop in Tanah Rata. Head down for a selection of affordable meals for breakfast and lunch. Culture Trip recommends either nasi lemak, kueh teow soup or curry mee for a local-style breakfast. Western sets with eggs, toast and tea or coffee cost just RM8 ($1.90 USD). Vegetarian options (try vegetarian fried keuh teow) are available too. Uncle Chow consistently rates among the top restaurants in Cameron Highlands for vacationing locals. And if Malaysians say it’s good, it must be true!
Malaysia’s first organic steamboat restaurant in Brinchang uses only the highest quality organic vegetables from their farm. For RM22 ($5.40 USD) per head, customers have unlimited sides for a satisfying meal. Both pure vegetarian and non-vegetarian (pork or chicken-based) broths are available, catering to all dietary requirements. Cameron Organic is among the top restaurants in Cameron Highlands for health-conscious travellers and vegans.
Ferm Nyonya serves Nyonya-style (a blend of Malay and Chinese cooking techniques), Western dishes and steamboat. Set menus with accompanying Nyonya fried rice give travellers the chance to try this special type of cuisine, or have a steamboat with spicy tom yum soup and dine Malaysian-style. Expect mid-range prices, a convenient location in the heart of Tanah Rata and some of the highland’s most extensive selection of food. Culture Trip recommends Ferm Nyonya for families with older children or groups of friends.
Delicious & Happiness Chicken serves budget-friendly Chinese food. Apart from a selection of both fried rice and noodle dishes, customers can order buttermilk chicken, homemade tofu and claypot pork ribs. Vegetarian options are available too. Expect a filling meal for two, including drinks in a no-frills environment to come with change from RM30 ($7.30 USD). Ask the English-speaking staff to translate the menu and give recommendations. This is among the top restaurants in Cameron Highlands for backpackers on a shoestring.
This mid-range BBQ and steamboat restaurant near both Cactus Valley and Big Red Strawberry Farm is a hit with meat lovers. Expect giant plates of grilled meal (we recommend marinated pork ribs), seafood and vegetables in portions large enough to fill a family of four. The flavoursome steamboats over charcoal cook the endless sliced meat and seafood sides. Adventurous foodies can taste Malaysian speciality bak tuk teh (pork ribs in a thick broth). Culture Trip recommends Cactus View for mid-range families and groups.
Family-run You Hoo is among the oldest restaurants in Cameron Highlands. The Chinese-style diner has served vacationing Malaysians for almost 30 years. Compared to its neighbours, their menu has an ever-growing list of delicious dishes. Try hotplate tofu and Indonesian curry fish or order a steamboat to warm up on chilly nights. Expect mid-range prices in an easy-to-reach location along the main road. Pro tip: Because of this restaurant’s popularity (especially on public holidays and weekends), we recommend calling and making a reservation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.