Kuala Lumpur combines mosques with Chinese and Hindu temples. A central oasis filled with tropical flowers, orchids and monkeys in a busy metropolitan city centre – plus an undisputed reputation for delicious food. Culture Trip finds out how to pack all this into a single day.
Travellers on a short stopover with just 24 hours in Kuala Lumpur need to pack as much into their day as possible. Here’s how to taste their famous food, see monkeys and make your friends jealous with Instagram photos of the illustrious Petronas Towers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Morning: Chinese-style breakfast and Little India
Start the morning with a steaming bowl of noodle soup at Restoran One Sentral. The Chinese-hawker style restaurant sits in the heart of Brickfields near the neighbourhood’s budget-friendly accommodation. Stroll through Little India along the colourful streets decorated with arches to the sounds and smells of the subcontinent. Check out the 100-year-old Sri Kandaswamy Kovil Tempe on Scott Road and the Buddhist Maha Vihara Temple. If you’re peckish, order roti canai from one of the Nasi Kandar shops along Jalan Tun Sambanthan. Pro Tip: KL Sentral’s shopping centre has plenty of cafés, shops and ultra-strong air-conditioning for days that are just too hot.
Afternoon: Chinatown, Lake Gardens and monkeys
The afternoon involves a walk around Chinatown and visiting the Lake Garden’s city oasis. Take the LRT from KL Sentral to Pasar Seni (one stop). Remember to get the token from the machines and keep it in a safe place. Chinatown is east of Pasar Seni. Check out the Central Market, Sri Mahamariamman Temple (KL’s oldest temple) and Petaling Street. Take a taxi or Grab Car to Lake Gardens which houses the Orchid Gardens around a lake. With just 24 hours in Kuala Lumpur, this is your best chance to see wild monkeys.
Evening: Petronas Towers and the KLCC Water Show
Our 24 hours in Kuala Lumpur itinerary reserves the evening for the acclaimed Petronas Towers. From Lake Gardens, take a taxi or Grab to KLCC. Snap a few photographs of the towers in front of the shopping centre (where all the tourists are standing). Next, pass through the mall to KLCC Park. Follow the jogging path to get different perspectives of the Petronas Towers. The bridge directly behind the pond offers the best photographs. Enjoy a cake and iced coffee inside KLCC’s megamall and cool down for an hour. Stick around until the 8pm KLCC Lake Symphony Water Fountain Show. Pro tip: Aim to arrive before 6pm to see the Petronas Towers in daylight and again when they light up after sunset.
Night: Unwind in Kuala Lumpur’s vibrant neighbourhood
If you still have any energy after an action-packed 24 hours in Kuala Lumpur, head to Bukit Bintang. The district is a magnet for backpackers and travellers with an array of bars and restaurants. For the not-so-budget conscious tourists, a night at either No Black Tie (jazz bar) or Whiskey Bar makes for a classy night out. Alternatively, order a meal and bottle of beer at one of the plastic-table restaurants spread along Jalan Alor. For a more traditional meal, dine at a banana leaf restaurant.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.