A popular South Indian way of serving rice, banana leaf rice is a popular lunch option across Malaysia. The multiple components of rice, curry, assorted vegetables, rasam and side dishes make for a satisfying meal packed with spicy and sour flavours. Whether rushing from an office on a lunch hour or passing through Kuala Lumpur as a traveler, these are spots to check out for a good banana leaf rice lunch.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Restoran Devi’s Corner
Sitting in the heart of the trendy Telawi neighbourhood in Bangsar is Devi’s Corner. Reliably open 24 hours a day, 364 days a year (they shut on Diwali), Devi’s has the advantage of an air-conditioned second floor, which should not be scoffed at because KL weather can grate. Enjoy a side serving of spicy tandoori, with the banana leaf rice in the evening, as the day cools.
Raj’s Banana Leaf
Round the corner from Devi’s Corner is Raj’s Banana Leaf. While their spicy, tender mutton varuval is a great side, don’t forget to try their fish options as well: threadfin, white pomfret, mackerel. There’s ample seating so there’s no need to worry about rush-hour crowds.
Annapurnam Chetinad Restoran
This airy restaurant in Lorong Maarof serving South Indian Chetinad cuisine is notable for its fast service and a crazy lunch hour that starts at 12. Try the vegetarian set that starts at RM$8 with fresh coconut chutney. While the price of the banana leaf rice runs a bit pricey here, it is well worth it.
Sri Nirwana Maju Restaurant Bangsar
A long queue is a common feature outside Kuala Lumpur’s first banana leaf rice shop. Sri Nirwaja Maju is not just the first, it is also one of the best. Their mouth-watering chicken perattal, mutton varuval and signature salted dried chili and pickles led to many repeat customers and being shortlisted for Best Banana Leaf and Best Indian by Time Out KL.
Fierce Curry House
Winner of the Time Out KL Food Awards for Best Indian in 2013 and 2014, Fierce Curry House offers both North and South Indian cuisine. Swap out regular rice in the banana leaf rice with dhum-style biryani, which packs even more flavour, thanks to the spices and marinated meat. Instead of mutton or chicken curry as a side, try instead their lobster and scallops.
Serving both North and South Indian cuisine in the city centre area, Betel Leaf has been prominent enough to court notable customers including former Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohamad. While slightly pricey, anything on the menu will serve as an excellent side to add punch to the basic banana leaf rice. Try the chili crab or the chettinad mini tiffin for a tasting menu of Chettinad cuisine.
Vishal Food & Catering
Specialising in Chettinad and North Indian cuisine, Vishal offers a warm and communal dining experience with its long rows of tables arranged like a mess-hall. They offer a good variety of vegetarian and vegan options as well as particularly tender chicken varuval. As an added bonus, Vishal is pork-free/certified halal.
Indian Spices Village
Little India, Brickfields is a treasure trove of delicious Indian cuisine. But should you ever get paralysed by which restaurant you should pick, Indian Spices Village is a safe bet. Its extensive menu covers everything from the basic dosai to spicy lamb briyani and gulab jamoon for dessert. Needless to say, their basic banana leaf rice is a satisfying meal. Partner that with one of the many dishes on their menu, like the mutton sukka varuval and you have the perfect lunch.
Bala’s Banana Leaf
Bala’s has been wowing the public with their authentic South Indian curry and red bean cheese naan since 2016. They’re not only known for being super affordable – get a basic banana leaf rice from RM$8 – but also for their generous portions. Bala’s is certified halal and excludes all food preservatives and artificial flavouring.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.