Some winter holiday travelers prefer to enjoy their time in warm climate without worrying too much about cold winters. Malaysia is one of the most ideal winter getaways to escape from thick snow and freezing winds. Here are some reasons why Malaysia is an ideal winter escape for your upcoming holidays.
Malaysia doesn’t have four seasons like Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. Its tropical weather happens all year round with sunny skies and humid rain falls. Travellers love the heat, which is why they love to come to Malaysia to escape from the freezing winter. They don’t mind sweating and sun bathing in Malaysia’s lovely weather. Make sure to book your flights and hotels in advance – the peak season in Malaysia happens between December and January.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t have to worry about heavy clothing
There is no need to wear layers of heavy clothes to keep you warm. Malaysia’s weather is hot and humid, so you can wear single-piece comfortable clothing. Put on your favourite top and shorts along with your sunglasses. Add some sunscreen and paint the town red. You can even wear your favourite swimsuit or trunks to have your own beach or pool party. At night, you don’t need a jacket because the winds are light.
Relaxing at the islands
Escape from the thick snow and chilly weather to enjoy the sunny skies, sandy beaches and sea breezes at Malaysia’s tropical islands. The islands are surrounded by tranquil seas and each day has a beautiful sunset – it’s is simply breathtaking. Enjoy the leisure beach activities or just relax on your favourite beach spot as the winter holiday goes by. There are plenty of popular and underrated beaches and islands to choose from, depending on whether you prefer someplace secluded or not. We suggest having your winter holidays at Langkawi, Perhentian Islands, Redang Island and Pangkor Island.
Diving into the coral reefs
It is one of the ideal places to explore Malaysia’s beautiful coral reefs. With its tropical weather and warm seas, you don’t have to worry about freezing to death while diving into the turquoise seas. Put on your diving gear and the guide will take you to meet the sea creatures and colourful corals. Recommended diving spots are Pangkor Island, Perhentian Islands and Sipadan Island. If you have the passion to explore the seas’ coral reefs, you can also learn scuba diving and earn yourself a license through training guided by instructors.
Exploring the rain forests
The luscious rain forests invite explorers to meet various flora and fauna. Hiking through the rain forest’s trails is one of the exciting activities to become close and personal with Malaysia’s nature. You might meet some animal friends during your hiking adventures. There are some places (such as Taman Negara) where you can camp out under the night sky. Explore the rain forest’s wildlife at Bako National Park and Kinabalu Park. If you prefer somewhere close to Kuala Lumpur, we recommend visiting the KL Forest Eco Park (next to KL Tower).
Dipping by the waterfalls
The best way to cool yourself off from the heat is to chill out by the waterfalls. The rain forest’s rivers flow toward the waterfalls which have their own natural pools. It is worth the hiking trip to visit. You can even spend the night camping nearby most waterfalls…or just climb your way up to the very top to soak in the panoramic views of rain forests. Visit the Rainbow Falls (one of Malaysia’s hidden gems), Lambir Hills National Park and Langkawi’s Seven Wells Waterfall and Durian Perangin Waterfall.
Adrenaline exploration in the caves
Challenge yourself and discover Malaysia’s limestone caves. Cave and river tours are provided to assist you based on your choice of exploration. For beginners, visit the Gua Tempurung in Ipoh – it has three large chambers with amazing rock formations. If you prefer to go advanced, explore Mulu Caves National Park, a challenging trek which includes Deer Cave and Clearwater Cave.
Gain experience in volunteering programs
Besides enjoying the sunny breeze in Malaysia, create your memorable experiences by participating in volunteering programs. This is a great opportunity to learn Malaysia’s various cultures, including art, food, language and daily lifestyle. In between your breaks, you can explore different parts of Malaysia such as Penang, Melaka, Sabah and Sarawak. There are many volunteer programs to choose to take part in – teaching in primary and secondary schools, taking care of Malaysia’s wildlife (orangutans, sun bears and turtles) and preserving the environment (islands, oceans and rain forests).
Celebrating Christmas and New Year differently
Skip the cold year-end holidays and celebrate Christmas in Malaysian style. Shop till you drop at malls and admire the beautiful Christmas decorations together with a big Christmas tree. You might catch the live performances that bring in the Christmas cheers. Enjoy your Christmas meals along with simple Malaysian delicacies (such as curries and satay (skewered
meat grilled over charcoal). New Year celebrations are similar to the U.S. and Europe. However, you can watch the fireworks display on a rooftop without worrying about cold winds.
Savouring Malaysian desserts
Aside savoring the spicy and savory dishes (such as nasi lemak and laksa), you get to eat ice-cold desserts. Indulge yourself with Malaysia’s popular desserts on the sunny days. Cendol (shaved ice served with gula Melaka, condensed milk and pandan shaped rice) and ais kacang (shaved ice served with toppings and syrups) are the recommended desserts to cool you down from the tropical heat.
Friendly local smiles
One of the best eye-opening experiences of discovering the beauty of Malaysia is by communicating with the locals. The locals welcome travelers to Malaysia with their warm smiles and hospitality. They ensure that you enjoy your travels in this lovely country. Although some may not speak your language, their smiles, simple words and body language build a connection with you. They make you feel at home. Some locals will gladly share their unique culture and stories with you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.