Not only does Malaysia have tropical beaches, it also has many national parks that preserve the rainforests’ flora and fauna. Visiting these parks is an ideal way to enjoy day or weekend trips amidst luscious nature. Check out the most beautiful national parks in the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
KL Forest Eco Park
Formerly known as the Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve, it is located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, where it welcomes you to the wonderful natural habitat in the concrete city. You can see the KL Tower from afar as you walk the park.
The oldest protected jungle (covering 9.37 hectares) allows you to walk along the short trails from either Jalan Ampang or Jalan Raja Chulan. Explore the canopy walk within the lush greeneries as you view the KL Tower. Visitors are required to purchase tickets at the head office near Raja Chulan or KL Tower.
Taman Negara is a wonderful place for you to enjoy the rainforest’s natural wonders and outdoor activities. Take jungle strolls along the canopy walkway and in the rainforest, learn aboriginal culture at the village, ride along the rapids of Tembeling River, and hop on the boat cruise to admire the riverside’s flora and fauna towards Lata Berkoh and feed the fishes.
Observe the animals from hides and try bird watching. Craving adventure? Explore the caves at Gua Telinaga and Gua Kepayang Besar, climb the mountains at Gunung Tahan, go fishing at Sungai Tembeling and Sungai Keniam, and hike through the trails to explore four waterfalls in Taman Negara.
Penang National Park
Penang National Park is the smallest and newest national park in Malaysia, where visitors can admire the majestic trees and wildlife in the rainforest. The hiking trails in Penang National Park are connected to various beaches including Monkey Beach, Teluk Kampi, and Kerachut Beach, so you can relax and enjoy scenic views after some long walks.
Take the right trail and it will lead to Teluk Aling, Monkey Beach and Muka Head Lighthouse Trail. Take the left trail that leads you to Pantai Kerachut and Meromictic Lake Trail.
Mulu Caves National Park
Surrounded by Borneo’s rainforest, Mulu Caves National Park consists of broad range of caves for visitors to explore. Led by World Heritage guides, venture through the caves including Deer Cave and Clearwater Cave to gain a better understanding about their ecological formation. Although it is physically challenging to explore through trekking and climbing in the caves, you will feel relieved a
fter being amazed by the caves’ natural beauty. To cool down, have a swim at the Paku Waterfall or take a Long Imam Ba’Desai Waterfall tour that goes from Melinau River to Long Imam. Follow this by learning the Penan community’s daily life at their settlement.
Bako National Park
Bako National Park is the oldest national park in Sarawak (established in 1957) that introduces its forests and wildlife. To get there, take a 30-minute boat ride from the Bako Village. There are many jungle trails and treks to explore and discover Borneo’s species and vegetation of ecosystems. The national park is a home to various species including long-tailed macaques, silvered leaf-monkeys, plantain squirrels, wild boar, mouse deer, lizards, Borneon bearded pig, otters, and many more. After walking through some trails, you will see some rocky pools and small beaches that connect to the rainforest.
Lambir Hills National Park
Lambir Hills National Park has a compound and diverse rainforest ecosystem, home to 237 different species including birds, deers, insects, wild pigs, flying squirrels, and gibbons. The jungle trails take you to various waterfalls and bathing pools that are located across the rainforest.
Latak Waterfall Trail and Pantu Waterfall Trail take you to the scenic waterfalls. For now, the suspension bridge is closed due to fallen trees caused by heavy winds but visitors can take alternative routes to these. You will discover wild orchids along the challenging Summit Trail and relax at Dinding Waterfall on your way back after a long walk.
At Malaysia’s first World Heritage Site, Kinabalu Park, climbing Mount Kinabalu is not the only activity to do. There are plenty of ways for you to explore Borneo’s natural rainforest habitat. There are over 5,000 species of plants and more than 400 species of birds and mammals in the national park.
Admire the rainforest’s scenic views and have the opportunity to take a photo with the Mount Kinabalu located in the distance. Discover diverse species and vegetation including Rafflesia, the world’s biggest and smelliest flower. Stop by the villages to learn Dusun people’s rich culture and history.
Kubah National Park
Kubah National Park has a wide range of palm trees and wild orchid species. Consisting of waterfalls, streams, and bathing pools, the rainforest has six trails to walk including the path to Gunung Serapi. Discover various species of palm tree at Palmetum Trail and waterfalls at Waterfall Trail. See breathtaking views of Matang and Santubong peninsula by taking the Selang Trail to the viewpoint.
Learn about wildlife at Matang Wildlife Centre by walking through the Rayu Trail from the main office. Discover huge trees including Bintagor trees, currently analysed for AIDS research, along the way. The Belian Trail takes you to various plants including Borneo’s Belian trees, forest birds, and squirrels.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.