Vang Vieng, Laos is a perfect stopover point if you’re travelling by land between Luang Prabang and Vientiane. It would be easy to stay a week and still not see and do everything Vang Vieng has to offer. If, like many travellers, you’re only in town for a few days, follow this guide to make the most of your time.
Lunch at the Organic Farm then tubing
If you take a morning minivan from Vientiane, the three-hour journey will put you in Vang Vieng around lunch time. One of the top activities in Vang Vieng is river tubing and it’s good to start in the early afternoon. Rent your tubes early but delay getting into the water until you’ve eaten at the Organic Farm, which is conveniently located at the beginning of the tubing route.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dinner on the street
Depending on how many riverside bars you hit up and how much dancing you did and volleyball and drinking games you played, it’ll be close to dinner time when you carry your tube through town to return it. Take in some delicious greasy local street food. Try a fried egg or meat sandwich, a fruit shake, and a sweet pancake for dessert.
Drinks and music at Gary’s
When you get your second wind, make your way to Gary’s Irish Bar for a low-key evening listening to live music and hanging out. Try your hand at pool, watch whatever soccer match is on the TV, and sip a pint or order some bar food.
Half-day rock climbing
Grab an iced coffee and some fruit off the street and head to Adam’s Climbing School for a half-day rock climbing excursion across the river. There’s no better way to appreciate the limestone karst mountains than by getting up close and personal. You can rent equipment and get on the wall whether you’re a total novice or a seasoned veteran.
Lunch at Sae Lao Project
Stay on the other side of the river and eat lunch at Sae Lao Project. The restaurant is out of town on a lake and has beautiful views and delicious food. Try the papaya salad and spring rolls. All of the proceeds from the restaurant go to support free English classes for children and adults in the village.
Blue Lagoon and Caves
Continue on after lunch to check out the Blue Lagoon one. If you haven’t had your fill of swimming, sliding, and jumping off ropes and trees, there are three other Blue Lagoons you can visit. Spend the afternoon swimming and visiting caves. Tham Nam has a river running through it and visitors can sit in an inner tube and navigate by headlamp.
Sunset happy hour
When you head back into town, catch the sunset from the patio bar at one of the big hotels on the river like the Silver Naga Hotel or Elephant Crossing. Happy hour drink specials and and the red and pink setting sun go hand in hand. Watch the boats float down the Nam Song and relax.
Dinner at Peeping Som or Il Tavalo
If you’re with a group or are looking for a fun and memorable dinner, head to Peeping Som on the main road for Korean barbecue, where you can cook your choice of meats right at your table. On the other side of the air strip night market, you’ll find Italian gem Il Tavalo. If you’re hankering for some authentic pizza and pasta, this is your place. Run by an Italian father-and-son duo, the food is great and the atmosphere is low-key.
Head to the party after dinner at Sakura – for happy hour and dancing to pop music until you’re tired and sweaty. If you aren’t into the mosh pit, check out the patio in the back with an outdoor bar. When Sakura closes at midnight, the party moves to Viva Pub, where DJs spin until closing time then secret club Room 101 plays house and techno until 3 a.m.
The next morning grab a smoothie and breakfast to go from Cafe EhEh and head back over the bridge to hike up a mountain for unforgettable views of the river and town below. Try hiking Phangern Mountain, about 3km outside of town. The hike takes about a half hour and the views from the top are stunning.
Lunch then hit the road
After working up an appetite from hiking, check out Viman’s for German and Thai food. If you can’t decide between schnitzel and curry, why not order both? If you’d rather eat local fare, both Chaleun and Bamboo Tree have great local dishes like laap, noodles, Lao soups, and fried vegetables. After lunch it’s time to catch a mini van either three hours down to Vientiane or six hours up to Luang Prabang to continue exploring Laos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.