Vang Vieng is a charming tourist town on the Nam Song in Laos’ Vientiane Province. It is a popular stop-over point for backpackers making their way from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. Once known for it’s massive party scene, Vang Vieng has reinvented itself as Laos’ premier spot for outdoor activities, while still maintaining some of its wild side. Check out these alternative activities to do in Vang Vieng.
Rent a dune buggy for an hour or up to half a day and see the beauty of Vang Vieng on four wheels. Bring sunglasses and a bandana for the dusty dirt roads and cruise around in style. Several tour operators rent buggies, so check out your options before you commit. Some go in a big organized group tour, while others let you drive around on your own.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hang-Gliding or Paramotoring
Get the gorgeous aerial views of the mountains and river that you would in a hot air balloon with an added dose of adrenaline by heading up in a paramotor (a motorized parachute) or a power hang-glider. Rides last around 20 minutes. While they are more expensive than other outdoor recreation in Vang Vieng, the experience is priceless.
Zip lining is offered at several locations in Vang Vieng, such as at Blue Lagoon 1 and back and forth over the Nam Song. Many tour operators in town offer day packages that include zip lining as well as touring caves, visiting lagoons, tubing or kayaking. Talk to the operators about the duration and activities you’d like in your package, and negotiate a price before departing.
If you’re itching to go on a southeast Asia bike trip but haven’t the foggiest how to operate a two-wheeled vehicle, Uncle Tom’s Trails is the perfect dirt bike school for your needs. Located in the Kasi region, you’ll learn how to use a 125cc four-stroke trail bike. The two-day course is run by British instructor, Tom, and limited to two trainees at a time. You’ll be riding through the beautiful backcountry of Laos in no time.
While there aren’t nearly the number of temples in Vang Vieng as Vientiane or Luang Prabang, there are several worth checking out. All three are on the main road and easily accessible by foot. Wat Kang has a big golden Buddha statue on the grounds. Novices study sacred texts at the school for monks there. Wat Si Sou Mang is at the opposite end of town, 0.75 miles (1 km) from Wat That, at the other end of town.
There’s a party every night in Vang Vieng. Happy hour starts at 9 p.m. at Sakura Bar, and when that club closes at midnight, those who haven’t had enough move to Viva Pub down the street. If you still haven’t had your fill, from Viva, the party moves to Room 101. If you’re in town Friday night, buy a ticket to the Jungle Party for DJ sets and music videos, black light body paint and fire dancing.
Many caves exist in the karst mountains of Vang Vieng. Tham Lom is on the opposite side of the Nam Song from town. The entrance is marked by a series of hand written signs. Once you reach the entrance and pay the nominal fee you’ll receive flashlights and climb 15-20 minutes up the mountain to the cave entrance. It is unlit and undeveloped save for a few ladders to climb down into the cave and a spirit house.
Bike or take a tuk-tuk out of town to the Organic Farm (which is also the starting point of river tubing.) The head chef will help you select three dishes and a dessert from the restaurant’s menu, and instruct you in the preparation of Lao food using ingredients from the farm. With a maximum class size of four people, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to ask questions and master the flavors of Laos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.