From exploring Japan’s first outdoor sculpture park to soaking in an onsen and slurping up soba noodles, here’s how to spend a perfect day in Hakone.
Please note: the Hakone Tozan Line between Hakone-Yumoto and Gora is currently closed until autumn 2020 due to a typhoon in the region. Replacement bus and rail services are available. For updates, check their website.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover art and nature at the Hakone Open-Air Museum
Every trip to Hakone begins at Hakone-Yumoto station, to where many people travel from Tokyo. Yumoto, home to several bathhouses and inns and Hakone’s oldest hot spring, is the gateway to the wider Hakone region. From here, buy a ticket for the Hakone Tozan Railway, and enjoy the spectacular hour-long ride through valleys and forestland as the mountain railway climbs uphill to Gora station.
Top tip: if you’re looking to cover the entire Hakone loop on your day trip, purchase the Hakone Free Pass from Shinjuku Station. The pass covers you for two to three days and gives you unlimited access to all the means of transport in the Hakone region, including the Hakone Tozan Cable Car and the Hakone Ropeway.
Gora is one Hakone’s main hot spring resorts, home to several stylish ryokans, a Western-style namesake park and the Hakone Museum of Art. While the museum and gardens in Gora are worth a visit, the main attraction is the nearby Hakone Open-Air Museum, which is just a 15-minute walk from Gora station. Spend your morning exploring all 70,000 acres (28,000ha) of Japan’s first outdoor sculpture park, which features sculptures by Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Kyoko Asakura and several other notable artists, backdropped by the verdant hills and forests of Hakone. The al fresco artworks are joined by an entire pavilion dedicated to Spanish painter Pablo Picasso, plus a hot spring foot bath and an all-you-can-eat café for lunch, with sweeping views over the sculpture park and mountains.
Soar over Ōwakudani, Hakone’s active volcanic valley, and get that postcard-perfect shot of Hakone Shrine
Hop on the Hakone Tozan Cable Car from Gora Station to Sōunzan Station, from where you can board the Hakone Ropeway, an aerial cable car that glides over Ōwakudani before terminating at Togendai Station at the edge of Lake Ashinoko. Disembark at Ōwakudani Station and try one of the region’s special black eggs, which are hard-boiled in sulfurous hot springs and said to add seven years to your life. They can be found cooking away in souvenir shops dotted around the valley.
Once you’ve had your fill of eggs and vistas over the volcanic crater, take the Hakone Ropeway to Togendai Station, from where you can board a ship that takes in views of Mount Fuji and Hakone Shrine‘s iconic red gate on Lake Ashinoko. Make sure you’ve packed your camera: there are plenty of excellent photo opportunities on this hour-long cruise.
Wind down in a traditional hot spring bath in Yumoto
From Togendai Station, take the 25-minute ropeway back to Sōunzan Station. The Hakone Tozan Cable Car will get you back to Gora in 10 minutes, from where you can travel back through the mountains to Hakone-Yumoto.
A must-do on any visit to Hakone is a soak in a traditional onsen. Hakone is one of Japan’s most famous hot spring towns, with seventeen spring water sources powering baths and heated pools in ryokans and bathhouses across the region. The hot spring at Yumoto has a particularly long history, and dipping into a hot bath in one of Yumoto’s several day spas is the perfect way to wind down after a day of sightseeing. Tenzan Onsen is regarded as one of the better public bathhouses, offering open-air baths surrounded by lush woodland and a maze of indoor and outdoor pools to choose from.
For dinner, slurp up noodles at Hatsuhana Soba Honten, a soba restaurant that’s been serving delicious, traditional noodles made from buckwheat, eggs and jinenjo yam since 1934.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.