Hakone, a hot-spring town southwest of Tokyo, has quietly developed an art scene to rival that of a big city. Here, discover how Hakone evolved from a rural mountain region into one of Japan’s most exciting art districts.
With its verdant forestland, serene lake, hills of golden pampas grass and views of Mt. Fuji, Hakone has occupied artists and travellers since it was a post station on the Tōkaidō during the Edo period. Ukiyo-e artist Utagawa Hiroshige featured Lake Ashi, a large lake that encompasses much of Hakone’s western border, as one of his Fifty-Three Stations of the Tōkaidō, a series of woodcut prints from the artist’s travels along the Tōkaidō in 1832.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Famously appearing to float on the surface of the lake, Hakone Shrine’s red torii gate has become an iconic symbol of the region and of the union between Japan’s natural beauty and sacred sites. The image of the gate has been re-created in Japanese art for centuries, in everything from travel posters to woodblock prints.
It wasn’t until the 20th century that the mountainous destination that inspired so many artists would open an art gallery of its own. Hakone started to become a popular getaway destination following the establishment of an electric railway from Tokyo’s Shinjuku to nearby Odawara, from where mountain railroads took passengers into the heart of the Hakone region. A small art museum opened in 1952 among the hot springs and ryokans of Gora, one of Hakone’s most popular areas thanks to its accessibility on the Hakone Tozan Railway.
Then, in 1969, entrepreneur and art collector Nobutaka Shikanai caused ripples in Japan’s art world by opening the country’s first outdoor sculpture park, the Hakone Open-Air Museum, in the hills of nearby Ninotaira. The museum, which occupies 70,000 square meters of hills and gardens in the Hakone mountains, was inspired by English sculptor Henry Moore and his philosophy that ‘sculpture is an art of the open air’. Several sculptures by Moore feature in the museum’s permanent collection, complemented by works from Japanese and international sculptors as well as a pavilion dedicated to Spanish painter Pablo Picasso.
The Hakone Open-Air Museum inspired a new way in which to explore and showcase the cultural interplay between seasonality, nature and art, and prompted many more outdoor sculpture parks to open across Japan. This interaction plays out in the museums and galleries that proliferated in Hakone, too. Many of the region’s art institutions take advantage of Hakone’s spectacular scenery, from the lakeside Naruwaka Museum of Art to the Japanese garden-bound Okada Museum of Art. Alongside traditional art galleries are a handful of small, offbeat museums, dedicated to everything from dollhouses and parquetry to fictional explorer The Little Prince.
Hakone was also home to modern Japanese artist Kei Hiraga, who spent his final years in the region. After his death, his widow transformed their home into a small museum, open to the public for a number of years, but it has since closed down.
Hakone today is known as much for its surprising, eclectic art museums as for its hot springs and natural beauty. Discover how nature and art harmoniously coexist in Hakone with Culture Trip’s complete guide to Hakone’s museums and galleries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.