Some of the most globally successful characters were created in Japan. Whether they started off with a cult following or instant celebrity status, these days nearly everyone can recognize these cultural icons at a glance.
The Pikachu species of Pokemon made its debut in Japan in 1996 for the Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue video games on the Game Boy system. Its popularity exploded the following year when one special Pikachu, in particular, was revealed to be a central character in the television adaptation. Since then, the red-cheeked, electric-type mouse has become an international icon and a symbol of Japanese pop culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hello Kitty first appeared in 1974, during the early years of Japan’s kawaii craze. The simple design is part of its appeal and is what has made the character so timeless. Hello Kitty remains a popular character, especially for merchandise aimed at women, and can be found on everything from luxury handbags to shampoo bottles.
The Dragon Ball series was old news in Japan by the time it reached the English overseas market for the first time in the 1990s, nearly 10 years after the original release. It didn’t matter, though, because Goku the Super Saiyan—with his huge hair and trademark orange martial arts-style suit—was a lovable lead character, and he remains one of the most instantly recognizable characters from Japanese pop culture to this day.
Even if they’ve never seen Astro Boy, one of the first anime ever to be made, most people would probably recognize its distinctive lead character. The anime follows the adventures of a character of the same name, an android which resembles a small boy. Astro Boy was recently revived in 2009 as a CGI film adaptation in English, though it wasn’t well-received.
Mario was one of the first Japanese pop culture icons to reach international shores. The character was created for the Mario Bros. arcade game in Japan in 1983, and his present-day look appeared in 1985 for Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Globally, the Super Mario series is now the best-selling video game franchise of all time.
Doraemon is a time-traveling, blue robot cat whose adventures center on helping a young boy who’s having a rough go of his elementary school years. Doraemon first appeared in comic form in 1969 but didn’t become really popular until the second anime adaptation of the tales began in 1979. Doraemon the anime was remade in 2005 and became popular throughout Asia, particularly in India. The character Doraemon is so instantly recognizable that the Toranomon Hills mall in Tokyo made a version of the character, Toranomon, its official mascot because of the similarities between their names.
The Sailor Moon anime was first released in English in 1995, introducing kids all over the world to this pop culture icon. Girls everywhere could relate to the lead character Serena Tsukino (Usagi Tsukino in Japan), a lazy crybaby with poor grades and a big appetite but who becomes Sailor Moon when the world needs her. Sailor Moon remains one of the most successful franchises to come out of Japan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.