Japan is one of the most urbanized societies in the world, but even locals in the know can find it a challenge to rent an apartment in the country. A unique system of perplexing rules and a load of specific fees can make it difficult to smoothly secure the keys to your dream apartment. Here is a comprehensive guide to renting an apartment in Japan.
Types of apartment
Apartments vary in size from 2 DK to 4 LDK with the abbreviations L, D, K standing for Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen, and the number representing how many bedrooms or other rooms the apartment contains. The size of rooms is usually denoted in tatami, so a six-jo room is a room with six tatami mats (one tatami mat is approximately 1.8m x 0.9m = 1.62m²).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Access to transport
Japan has one of the best public transportation systems in the world, so being close to a train station is an important consideration when renting. Most apartment listings will let you know how far the apartment is from the nearest train station by foot or bus.
Real estate agents
Most apartments in Japan are usually rented through a real estate agent who typically have offices located near train stations. Apartment listings are usually shown in the shop window as well as advertised in various publications and websites. Some nationwide agencies include Able and eheya.net.
Apartment contracts are usually for a minimum of two years in Japan. It is easy to break an apartment contract as long as two month’s notice is given in advance. Apartments typically come unfurnished with utilities not included in the rent.
Most landlords in Japan are reluctant to rent their apartments to foreigners due to such things as language barriers and financial concerns, so many real estate agents require you to have a guarantor. The guarantor basically acts as a security measure, co-signing the rental contract along with the tenant and agreeing to pay for unpaid rent or damage to the apartment if the tenant fails to pay. The guarantor must be a Japanese national with stable employment and a good financial history.
Proof of identity
To rent an apartment in Japan you will need to provide two official forms of identification. In most cases this is your passport and residence card which shows your visa status.
Rent is paid on a monthly basis and varies depending on the location and size of the apartment.
Expect to pay quite a hefty amount in upfront costs which includes a lot of little fees and services only to be found in Japan. These fees and services include:
Deposit (one to three month’s rent to cover future damage to the apartment)
Key Money or Gift Money (typically one to three month’s rent which is non-refundable)
Real Estate Agency Commission Fee (typically one month’s rent)
Property Insurance (required to rent an apartment in Japan)
Annual Maintenance Fee
Key Exchange Fee
Gaijin Houses, or Guest Houses, are companies that provide furnished accommodation to foreigners in Japan. They can be really useful and convenient as they eliminate the need to find a guarantor as well as having no requiement for key money. Many Gaijin Houses have shared facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms, and have a social atmosphere similar to a college dormitory.
Where to find listings online
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.