Cat cafés, Hello Kitty, Cat Street, Cat Island, maneki-neko (aka the good luck welcoming cat) – cats are essentially Japan’s national animal, so it only makes sense for them to be able to wear the country’s most traditional garments. Yes, cat kimonos exist, and people can’t get enough of them.
Users have been posting photos of their less-than-impressed, but incredibly kawaii kitties sporting the garments all over social media, and they’ve taken the internet by storm. Whether it’s the classic cut complete with geisha-style wig piece or a breezier summer number, these kitties know how to sport a stylish kimono.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Royal Kitty
In a country where dogs in designer three-piece outfits get pushed around in tiny custom-built prams, it’s only fair that kitties get the royal treatment, too. Here, we have a very traditional looking outfit. This little emperor all decked out and ready to enjoy at traditional kabuki show.
Make every day a special occasion, wear kimono
Though they were traditionally considered everyday wear, the popularity of the kimono has waned in recent decades. These days, kimonos and yukatas (lighter summer-style kimonos) are usually reserved for big events like spiritual holidays, tea ceremonies, or during summer festivals. But when you look this good, every day is a special occasion.
This sophisticated sphynx is sporting a very classic floral number. This hot look is perfect for an outing to enjoy hanabi (fireworks) season during the steamy summer months. Japanese online store Rakuten is the best place to find the perfect outfit for your four-legged baby. With a variety of different styles on offer, they even sell special pieces to be worn for the hanabi season.
Dive deep into the world of cat cosplay
If you want to explore the weird and wonderful world of kitty costumes, check out the work of Japanese Instagrammer @tamapupu. Regularly posting adorable photos of her incredibly well-behaved kitties in adorable costumes, it’s your purr-scribed dose of daily cuteness.
Ugh, get this off me right meow
As fewer and fewer people are opting to have children, the Japanese pet industry is booming. Recent reports state that there are now more than 19 million pets in Japan. Eight million of them being cats, now that’s a lot of kimonos to make, but this guy is ready to donate his to any other fashion-forward felines in need.
I’m ready for my close-up
Head tilted on a tidy 45-degree angle, looking straight into the camera and umbrella perfectly positioned, this kitty will no doubt be drowning in the modelling offers in no time. The face says ‘try and get a dog to do something like this. Impossible.’
Move over Hello Kitty, there’s a few new cats in town
This adorable trio are putting on a proper little mini fashion show. Dressed up in a variety of garments, they know just how celebrate the New Year in style. We’ve got the tasteful single headpiece down at the bottom, followed by the a classic red and white number to the left, but it’s our friend in the black and white who is stealing the show. Look at the posture – watch out Hello Kitty, because this stylish fellow is ready to steal Japan’s heart.
Can I Join Too?
The kimono craze isn’t just limited to cats. As you can see, Japan’s style-conscious pups are getting in on the action, too, and they’re starting to steal some of the limelight. The big question now: who wore it better?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.