Japanese handicrafts are some of the finest in the world. If you are looking for a unique souvenir or a beautiful gift to take home from your trip we have some suggestions. Whether it is a folding fan, beautiful teacups or handmade paper, read on for 10 gift ideas from Tokyo.
Tenugui are personal hand towels, similar to a handkerchief. They are extremely versatile and can be used as anything from a sweatband or a belt, a bag or a dishcloth. Tenugui were first used over one thousand years ago as a luxury commodity made of expensive fabric, but became thinner and more functional during the Edo Period.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Modern necklaces, earrings and brooches are more interesting with a traditional Japanese twist. These days, old school fabrics and patterns or timeless lacquering techniques bring personality to everyday accessories.
Noren are curtains, but they aren’t limited to use in windows. Long ago, they were used for functional purposes like providing shade or sectioning off part of a room. Today, you’ll often find noren in storefronts and inside some restaurants, mostly for decorative purposes.
The hand fan has become a symbol of East Asian culture. Not only ornamental but culturally significant as well as functional, fans remain a popular souvenir. Folding fans were invented in Japan sometime around the 8th century CE. They were influenced by the hand fans of ancient China, which were mostly fixed in their shape.
The best gift is a gift you can use, and decorative handmade coasters from Japan will add a touch of Eastern style and luxury to any home. Look for ones made with traditional elements, like upcycled kimono fabrics or thick washi paper.
Washi is traditional Japanese style paper. It is thicker and sturdier than common paper made of wood pulp, and quality pieces are often handmade. Some styles can even be used in the kitchen to absorb cooking oil or as a decorative place to lay the wagashi (Japanese confectionery) during tea time.
The best kanzashi, or Japanese hairpins, will always have a handmade element to them. Many kanzashi can be used to decoratively create an up-do without a clip or tie, while others are purely for decoration. They are commonly worn with yukata or kimono.
Yukata are the lighter, more casual version of the kimono. They are worn in warm weather, especially for shrine festivals, hanabi (fireworks displays) and other summer celebrations. Yukata are made of lighter fabrics like cotton and don’t require nearly as many accessories as a kimono, so they’re much more affordable. A yukata cut, sewn and dyed by hand (rather than mass produced) makes a beautiful gift from Japan.
Handmade ceramic or porcelain teacups are a lesson in wabi-sabi, beauty in impermanence and imperfection. No two cups will be exactly alike, making them a totally unique souvenir.
Furoshiki are a multi-purpose stretch of fabric. They are often used to wrap gifts or make bags for carrying bento (boxed lunches). Quality furoshiki made by hand can also be used decoratively for things like place mats, hand towels or picnic blankets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.