A Japanese cultural institution since 1917, anime is now a global phenomenon. But with a dizzying array of titles and genres to choose from, where on earth should you begin? Fear not, our handy guide will help you find your way.
To keep things simple, we’ve focussed on the main genres, with established titles in each genre but also some lesser-known examples for people who feel like digging a little deeper. Unlike the West, many Japanese animated titles often defy easy categorisation, and genres can be mashed together. The titles below are a mixture of feature films, television series and original video animation. These are just the tip of the iceberg, and they are all worth checking out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Largely self-explanatory. If there are a lot of arses getting kicked, then it’s action. Look for: dazzling martial arts, cute girls with comedically over-sized guns and/or swords and anything else which includes ninja or samurai.
Flagship Titles: Dragonball Z, Fist Of The North Star, Ghost In The Shell, One Piece, Lupin The 3rd, Akira
Why Not Try: Kill la Kill, Samurai Champloo, One Punch Man, Ninja Scroll, Space Battleship Yamato 2199
The so-called ‘ordinary’ world can be just as entertaining and compelling as any fantastical setting, and ‘slice-of-life’ anime bears this out with tales of everyday people that are by turns analogous, instructive and charming. Comedy is heavily incorporated, and schools and workplaces feature heavily, as does some sort of profound life lesson.
Flagship Titles: K-On!, The Comic Artist and His Assistants, Barakamon, My Neighbour Seki, The Wind Rises
Why Not Try: Silver Spoon, Maison Ikkoku, Bartender, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō: Quiet Country Cafe
Like slice-of-life, only with fewer laughs and an absence of the ‘isn’t-it-funny-how-things-always-work-themselves-out’ vibe. The protagonists may not always come out on top, and a great sacrifice of some sort will have to be made along the way.
Flagship Titles: Angel Beats, In This Corner Of The World, Your Name, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Why Not Try: Byousoku 5 Centimeter, Orange, 91 Days, Wolf Children
As the name implies, anything of historical interest, not just in Japan but around the world. Perhaps not surprisingly, some heavy liberties can and will be taken with the accuracy of the events and individuals depicted.
Flagship Titles: Grave Of The Fireflies, Rose Of Versailles, Folktales From Japan, Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai
Why Not Try: Barefoot Gen, From Up On Poppy Hill, Nobunaga Concerto, Romance Of The Three Kingdoms
Great big bloody robots, usually shooting and/or beating the crap out of one another in a variety of locations. While it may not seem like it, mecha anime is one of the most thematically versatile genres in the medium; political intrigue, speculative science-fiction, psychological drama and slapstick comedy can feature heavily, sometimes in the course of a single episode.
Flagship Titles: Mobile Suit Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Knights of Sidonia, Gurren Lagann, Aldnoah.Zero, Gunbuster!
Why Not Try: Patlabor, Megazone 23, Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still, Macross Plus
Some are of them are witches, some of them are wizards, some of them are even aliens, but all possess extraordinary powers and more often than not, understanding and controlling those powers is a challenge all by itself.
Flagship Titles: Sailor Moon, Little Witch Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist, InuYasha, Kiki’s Delivery Service
Why Not Try: Fairy Tail, Ah! My Goddess, Slayers
As one would expect: deadly threats to body and mind, be they supernatural or otherwise. Again, as with mecha, horror anime can be surprisingly versatile in subtext and subject matter.
Flagship titles: Attack On Titan, Vampire Hunter D, Gantz, Tokyo Ghoul, Hellsing,
Why Not Try: Blood: The Last Vampire, Perfect Blue, Genocyber, Kowabon, Devilman
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.