Have you still got holiday allowance you have to use before the end of the year? Not looking forward to endless Christmas adverts and social events? Fancy a bit of winter escapism before charging into a new year? Whatever the reason, there are so many great places to visit in December we think you might need help picking the best ones.
Fancy a festive city break? Check out our guide to the the Best European Cities to Visit in December.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Escape to Iceland’s Frozen Wilderness
Let’s start off with one that we’ve all been thinking about. Iceland is an incredible country full of beautiful wilderness, stunning scenery and an otherworldly aura. I travelled on Culture Trip’s first trip of the year to the country with a small group and our incredible Local Insider and want to go back again before the year is out. From speeding on glaciers driving snowmobiles to sitting in a naturally heated rock pool gazing up at the Northern Lights, this Icelandic trip packs a lot in over a short time period. This is the one to go for if you only have a few days leave left to take before the end of the year, or if you just want to feel a little festive cheer before Santa comes to town.
Discover glaciers, black sand beaches and volcanic lagoons on this 5-day adventure to the Land of Fire and Ice.
Treasure Island: Ancient Temples and Wildlife Encounters in Sri Lanka
Immerse yourself in authentic Sri Lanka on this 12-day adventure trip. You’ll avoid the usual tourist traps and get a glimpse of real Sri Lankan culture – from a local’s tour of Colombo to cycling around 1,000-year-old ruins. Foodies will love the hands-on cooking lesson, combined with a trip to the village market, while thrillseekers will get their fix white-water rafting and abseiling at Kitulgala. Explore a quieter, lesser-known side of Yala National Park, where you might spot wild elephants and leopards, before finishing on a tropical beach in Kosgoda.
Set off from Colombo on an epic 12-day tour to experience the many sides of this tropical island
Pyramids, Temples and the Nile: the Ultimate Egypt Experience
Egypt is another one of those destinations you’ll feel compelled to visit more than once. Our comprehensive trip lets you see all the major attractions you’ve read about in books, and rest assured seeing them in person is a breathtaking experience.
Step back in time on this epic 10-day voyage of discovery through Egypt. After the unforgettable experience of exploring the Sphinx and Great Pyramid of Giza and browsing the stalls of the Khan Al-Khalili bazaar in the historic centre of Cairo, continue your journey south, first by sleeper train and then by luxury cruise ship on the Nile. Marvel at ancient temples, kayak on the river and sip cocktails on a felucca – a traditional Egyptian sailboat. Wrap up your trip in Aswan, where you’ll enjoy an authentic Nubian dinner on your final evening.
From Cairo to Aswan, follow in the footsteps of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs.
Vietnam Adventure: a Journey of Urban and Rural Discovery
Savour traditional street food, immerse yourself in rural village life and marvel at diverse tropical scenery on this action-packed journey through Vietnam. Starting in the capital, Hanoi, you’ll make the unforgettable trip to Mai Chau – a rural valley lined with paddies between forested mountains. After cruising through the dreamlike seascapes of Halong Bay on a luxury cruise ship, continue south by overnight train to Hue, where the Imperial City offers a fascinating window into the country’s past. Wrap up your trip in Hoi An, soaking up the atmosphere of its lantern-lit streets and charming canals.
See the best of Vietnam and take an unforgettable 12-day trip to Vietnam with Culture Trip.
Island of the Gods: the Ultimate Bali Itinerary
Want to really get away from all the stresses of Christmas at home? Celebrating the festive period in Bali seems like a pretty good alternative to us, and the parties to welcome in every new year are legendary.
From snorkelling with turtles to swimming in tropical waterfalls, experience the vast array of natural wonders Bali and the Gili Islands have to offer. Starting in the lively beach resort of Legian, your journey continues north into the jungle-covered mountains. Climb Mount Batur for spectacular sunrise views and attend a cooking masterclass in Ubud before taking a speed boat to Gili Trawangan – a tiny island off the coast of Lombok. Return to Bali and cap off your trip with an optional surf lesson, traditional beachfront blessing ceremony and an unforgettable farewell dinner in Canggu.
Book yourself an early present and head to Bali on a 12-day escape with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.