Now finding a public toilet near you in India’s capital has become as easy as searching for a bank, cafe or restaurant, all thanks to Google Maps. About 333 public toilets in Delhi can be located on the service. So, next time you immediately want to attend to nature’s call, when in Delhi just tap Google’s search bar.
Taking a step towards Digital India, an initiative that promotes the use of digital platforms, and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aims to create a cleaner environment, the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) teamed up with Google India and launched a ‘Toilet Locator Awareness Campaign’ to help people in Delhi find public toilets in their area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Under this campaign, about 333 community toilets and loos at railway stations, petrol pumps, malls and bus stands across Delhi can be found on Google Maps. They join those toilets across the NCR (National Capital Region, which includes Gurugram, Noida, Ghaziabad and Faridabad) which can already be found on the tech company’s mapping service, to make the total number geo-tagged over 5,000. This service is available in English as well as Hindi. Also, according to India’s Ministry of Urban Development, the initiative will be extended to other parts of India soon.
How to locate a ‘public toilet’ near you?
Just go to ‘Google Maps’ and type ‘public toilet’, ‘toilet’ or ‘sulabh’ (which means accessible), and you’ll receive a list of all the public toilets near you, along with their opening hours, address and distance from your location.
Another way to locate a public toilet near you is to use the official mobile app of NDMC – NDMC311.
What’s on the way?
The NDMC is in process to build 109 ‘smart toilets’ across Delhi and NCR equipped with a myriad of facilities, for instance ATMs, digital health clinics, rooftop solar panels, a user feedback table and vending machines to buy sanitary products, according to the Indian Express.
Within a three-month time frame, 31 more public toilets will be added to the Google Maps database.
Under this campaign, running from July 12 to August 11, users are asked to rate the cleanliness of the toilet and give feedback. India Today reports that on the basis of the feedback, one toilet will be highlighted as the cleanest at the end of the campaign.
Open defecation is an everyday reality of India, thus leading to unhygienic living standards. According to the ‘Swachhta Status Report (SRR), 2016’ by India’s Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, about 52.1 % of people living in rural India openly defecate, compared with 7.5% in urban areas. The Indian government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi built around 5.8 million individual rural household toilets, states the report.
The initiative was launched by the Indian government in a bid to eliminate public urination and open defecation; they are seeking to expand their public toilet promotion throughout India to mitigate the problem across the rest of the country.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.