There aren’t too many lookout points in Delhi, but the few that do exist provide stunning views of the city. From the ancient ruins at Tughlaqabad Fort to a revolving restaurant at Connaught Place, here’s where you can capture panoramic views in the capital.
When Mughal emperor Shah Jahan commissioned the construction of the royal mosque in his new capital city of Shahjahanabad (now Old Delhi), he named it Masjid-i-Jahan-Numa, or a mosque that commands a view of the world. India’s largest mosque certainly leaves a lasting impression on every visitor, but it also offers a breathtaking view of Old Delhi from one of its 40-meter-tall minarets. While the entrance is free, you have to pay ₹ 200 (£2) for photography.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tughlaqabad Fort was built in 1321 by Ghias-ud-din Tughlaq, the founder of the Tughlaq dynasty in India. One of the main purposes of the fort was to protect its residents against the invading Mongol forces. However, the place was abandoned within just a few years and many believe that was because of the curse laid on it by a Sufi saint. From the main bridge you get to enjoy a sweeping view of the ruins of Tughlaqabad Fort, a reminder of the area’s history.
When the British decided to move their capital from Kolkata to Delhi, they chose Raisina Hill as the new administrative center housing all major government buildings as well as the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the official residence of the President of India. Located at an elevated area, you get a commanding view of the surrounding including the famed war memorial India Gate.
Parikrama – The Revolving Restaurant
Parikrama is a one-of-a-kind dining option in Delhi as it’s the only revolving restaurant in the city. Located at a height of about 73 meters, it slowly revolves in order to provide a 360-degree view of the bustling commercial district of Connaught Place, all while you enjoy a hearty meal. It takes about 90 minutes to complete one full circle. You can also catch glimpses of monuments including Jama Masjid and Red Fort, situated in neighbouring Old Delhi, from the restaurant.
Thai High is one of the most popular Thai restaurants in Delhi. While there’s no doubt the food here is top-notch, what also draws people to the venue is its unrivalled location. From the rooftop, you can catch an unobstructed view of the iconic Qutub Minar and the surrounding neighborhood of Mehrauli. Qutub Minar is the tallest brick minaret in the world and the view from Thai High leaves you in awe of this lofty monument.
The Leela Palace New Delhi
The Leela Palace New Delhi is counted among the finest luxury hotels in the capital. Among its many spectacular features is the rooftop infinity pool from where you can catch a panoramic view of the city’s skyline. Prominent landmarks such as the Qutub Minar, Lotus Temple and Rashtrapati Bhavan are all visible from Delhi’s only rooftop pool. Unfortunately only guests at the hotel are allowed to use the space.
Hauz Khas Social
Hauz Khas Social is a bar, restaurant and workspace all rolled into one. The place encourages people to be social the old fashioned way, that is by actual physical interaction and not through digital devices. The concept has found many takers in the city, making Hauz Khas Social one of the most sought-after hangouts and co-working spaces. It also helps that the rooftop area here provides a great view of the Hauz Khas Lake along with the adjacent ruins of ancient forts.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.