Who isn’t fascinated by the idea of cave-dwelling? It was good enough for the Flintstones! If you share the fantasy, there is a cave-themed resort in India that allows you to try it for yourself, with twenty-first century conveniences and comforts. Nestled in the Garden City of India, Bengaluru, the Guhantara Resort is India’s first cave-dwelling themed resort and every troglodyte traveller’s dream come true.
The Guhantara resort is built underground, utilizing natural elements coupled with modern touches. This underground dwelling offers overnight stays as well as a wealth of adventure and recreational indoor/outdoor activities.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Everything about this place is traditional enough to transport you back in time, right from the entrance that has a wooden bridge-style gate with ancient touches, to the activity area and rooms – all exude a pre-historic cave look and feel with wooden carvings, dim lighting and low roofs, as well as maintaining contact with nature.
This unique resort offers four types of rooms – Primitive, Lithic, Cave Suite and Lithic Suite. All are beautifully and sustainably designed in accordance with the theme, complete with high-end indulgences and a comfortable atmosphere that blends seamlessly with the rustic architecture. In total, there are 20 rooms, each with a view of the eco-friendly lake formed by rainwater. And, if that’s not enough, there are sit-outs in each room, offering a spectacular view of the clear blue skies.
The tariff of each room varies. The Primitive room cost INR 8,500 ($ 132.6) per day per couple and Lithic cost around INR 9,500 ($148) per day twin sharing, while the high-roller options include Cave Suite costing INR 15,000 ($ 234) for four sharing, and Lithic Suite costing INR 10,000 ($ 156) twin sharing, all these are inclusive of complimentary breakfast, accommodation, games and tax. However, if you opt just for a room, the tariff varies, starting from INR 4000 ($ 62.44) and can cost up to INR 10,500 ($163.9).
Services and Facilities
The resort encompasses five service areas, each unique and creatively designed, with traditional names. A bar lounge is named as ‘Madhushala’, dimly lit with craggy contours, where guests can enjoy a drink or two. The food court, named ‘Sambhojna’ that serves multi-cuisine food, is an utter joy. An auditorium known as ‘Rangamandpa’, where folk performances as well as other entertainment activities are held can hold up to 700 people. The conference room known as ‘Samvaad’, is kitted out with contemporary facilities. And, the spa, ‘Agastya Kuteera’ offers a wide range of relaxing and rejuvenating spa treatments and massages, including fish pedicure.
When it comes to recreation, there’s nothing lacking on that front. There are plenty of activities for all ages, think horse-riding, tunnel trekking, bull riding, beach volleyball, billiards, badminton, darts, trampoline, bicycle rides, table tennis, paintball, carom, chess, and more – you’ll never run out of fun things to do here, whether indoor or out.
Topping things off, there are swimming pools with ethereal waterfalls, baby pools, kids play area, herbal garden, rain dance, DJs, cultural programs, bonfire and Wi-Fi.
There are several packages to choose from, depending upon whether you want to spend a day or a weekend.
How to get there
About 42 miles (two hour drive) from the Bengaluru International Airport and approx 21 miles from Bangalore City Railway Station, the resort is located off Kanakapura main road – take a cab/taxi from the airport/railway station for the rest of the way.
Away from the hustle and bustle of city life in the lap of nature inside a cave, accompanied by mod-cons and myriad R&R activities – what more could you ask for?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.