Known worldwide for the magnificent white marble mausoleum, the Taj Mahal, Agra has long attracted visitors from far and wide. With a number of other historical places to see, the city also has some beautiful gardens where you can relax and appreciate the greenery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mehtab Bagh means ‘moonlight garden’. It was the eleventh garden built by the Mughals on the banks of the river Yamuna. Situated across from the Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal, this garden is an ideal place to spend some time amid nature. It has walkways, spacious pavilions, alluring fountains, and a great variety of plants and trees. Constructed with the idea of providing a great view of the Taj Mahal, this garden has been rebuilt and restored recently.
Ram Bagh is the oldest Mughal garden existent today, and is now a part of the Rambagh Palace Hotel. In 1528, Emperor Babur built this Persian garden, which showcases great Islamic architecture. Ram Bagh means ‘the garden of relaxation’, and was thus built as a retreat for Babur. If you stay at the hotel, make sure you spend some time in the garden, too.
Situated in the center of the city, Paliwal Park is the best green space in Agra. It covers 70 acres, including a small lake, and has a variety of plants. Earlier it was called Hewitt Park, but was renamed in commemoration to Uttar Pradesh’s first Finance Minister, Shri Krishna Dutt Paliwal. There are a number of educational institutes around, so it makes a nice hangout place for students. Morning walkers come here every day, and children like to play here too. You can even enjoy boating on the lake here.
Shah Jahan Park
This is the most attractive garden of the Mughal Era. It has lush greenery all around. If you wish to enjoy some fresh air and a soothing atmosphere in Agra, Shah Jahan Park is the perfect place to go.
Taj Nature Walk
About 500 meters from the Taj Mahal is this nature walk with high grasslands and a variety of flora and fauna. From here, you can enjoy a scenic view of the Taj. It’s a particularly nice spot for a picnic.
Dayalbagh is a memorial garden situated 15 kilometers from Agra. It was built in remembrance of the founder of the ‘Radha Soami Satsang Movement’. The entire memorial is a collection of temples, gurudwaras, mosques and viharas, depicting the religious mix that formed the basis of Dayal Sahib’s preachings. This is a must-visit place in Agra.
Taj Mahal Garden
Right in front of the Taj Mahal is this sprawling green garden, equally famous for its beauty. With Persian style architecture, the Taj Mahal garden is nothing short of a paradise. The flawlessly manicured lawns and greenery shouldn’t be missed, either.
Sur Sarovar Bird Sanctuary
If you love birds, you’ll love this place. Situated 20 kilometers from Agra, Sur Sarovar is a National Bird Sanctuary with more than 100 different bird species. The sanctuary also has a lake called Keetham Lake, which provides a scenic view. Come here during winter and spot migratory birds.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.